Collected Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga, family Pinaceae)

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I picked up one from my local(ish) bonsai nursery this spring. The guy bragged that it never got colder than 40 degrees in his greenhouse... extremely warm for a tree that grows so far North, but I bought it anyway. It hasn't browned out but it has yellowed and was very slow to wake up this spring, like it's just budding out now. I was a little discouraged yesterday after birds destroyed a few of my trees and figured I'd do some "house cleaning" I planted the hemlock in the garden despite having just repotted it a few weeks ago. To my surprise the pot was root bound with feeders. I have mine in turface, small lava, and some potting soil. The reason I'm telling you this is because the root growth didn't match the visible trees growth. Your guy might be pushing crazy roots right now as well. I did add Happy frog brand soil acidifier and gnarly roots brand myco fungi.

P.S to everyone!! gnarly roots myco fungi powder has given me shockingly great results in a very short time. Yeah I know ... pics or it didn't happen. All I have is my word, I bought the stuff because it was only $5 on amazon but I'm glad I did.

I have read that they don't like typical bonsai soil and enjoy moist acidic fluffy soil. Some people seem to have good luck with them but it's obvious they're very fickle. Keep waiting it out

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hopefully I'm not following in your foot steps Giga. No more advice from you please. LOL only joking and Thanks for your reply.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The reason I'm telling you this is because the root growth didn't match the visible trees growth. Your guy might be pushing crazy roots right now as well.
I like your optimism and hope this to be the case. I do feel good about the soil and drainage I'm getting.

I think those little nuggets popping are better than gold right now. Been feeling guilty about the collection. Such a cool old tree hanging off that ledge for so many years, gradually slipping further over the edge causing the curve. It was more of a cascade on the cliff but, couldn't pot it that way. Eventually maybe hanging over the waterfall in a custom built box.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
hey I feel that one. Part of the reason I don't collect a perfect juniper on this cliff I visit. Buds are gold, mine literally are gold, yellow even

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice one. I've got a small one that I collected last spring. Literally ripped it out of the ground on a fishing trip, hiked it about 2 miles down the mountain wrapped in a wet tshirt, shoved it into the trunk of my buddies car, drove 2 hours home, and finally stuck it in a box. Mine never skipped a beat. This spring, I took it out of the box, simplified the roots, pruned and wired it and put it in a pond basket. It's throwing a bunch of new growth now. It would be harder to treat one more harshly than I did and mine is doing great. I have it in full sun in my regular mix. It does seem to appreciate a lot of water and being misted.

Good luck with yours. Its one of my favorite species. PM ABCarve with questions. He has some really nice ones and is very knowledgeable about them.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmmm I saturate mine and mist it daily.... maybe that's my problem

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice hemlock. Worth collecting because trunk was old enough to have rough bark. Eastern hemlock can be very slow growing, so that small tree may very well be over 40 years old. They seldom develop rough bark sooner than 40 years.

I have 6 seedlings, about 5 years old and a nursery stock one that might be 25 years old, none are in bonsai pots yet, but I think they eventually can be good. Back budding on older wood is rare, so do your best to conserve foliage close to the trunk, until you have your design planned.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shamefully no. Hanging my head

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would agree. I was unprepared and inexperienced. Me and the tree sliding/falling down the cliff shook up what little rootball
I had. I had been hoping nobody would ask... I still feel bad about killing this one.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would agree. I was unprepared and inexperienced. Me and the tree sliding/falling down the cliff shook up what little rootball
I had. I had been hoping nobody would ask... I still feel bad about killing this one.
Sorry for bringing it up. Better luck with the next one!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I scouted all winter but when time came the canal was flooded continually and missed the window. I was just talking to my landscape friend today and he shipped 35 to Cleveland. I didn't know he had those ground growing at his nursery...

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here's what I've found out from the half dozen or so that I've collected.

Trees with weak growth at collection will never make it.
All the trees I bare rooted at collection never made it, even the ones with stronger growth. The two I have left have been slowly bare rooted over the last 5 years and are now I mostly akadama.
They like a moist soil mix. They are very apically dominant and will grow vigorously once established, wounds heal up quite fast as well. Love me some hemlock!

Top Bottom