Collected Eastern Red Cedar

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think we have to distinguish expectations of back budding between a deciduous and an evergreen.
Chops that could be made on an elm or maple would generally never be tried on a juniper or pine.
I believe it's generally agreed that conifers won't push new buds without having foliage remaining on the tree.

For that reason I think it would be very unlikely that you would ever see one of these ERC that has been chopped down push new growth.

True.

By back budding, I am referring to new buds forming further back on the branches and/or trunk after pruning. Not the very common growth at the branch joints. No one should ever chop a pine or conifer back to nothing.

Will

cray13

Sapling
Reaction score
Cray13,

I have also been advised to not bother with Juniperus virginiana by other Carolina bonsai people. Frankly, while I have not actively avoided them, I have not actively sought one either. I have never worked on one.

If you are truly interested in getting some "local" knowledge about Juniperus virginiana, I would try Ken Duncan from Columbia SC, or Arthur Joura from the NC Arboretum (as I know you know). Ken has a Juniperus virginiana he collected a long time ago on a whim that is a very nice tree. He may have more than just the one. Arthur has the below attached in the NC Arboretum collection. I assume Arthur will be coming to Raleigh in the first half of 2008. Either man's brain would be worth picking on growing this specie in the Carolinas.

Regards,
Martin

Thanks Martin. I did get a chance to meet Arthur, but didn't get to talk very much. I'll definitely find out when he's visiting Raleigh and try and speak with him then.

GregC

Seedling
Reaction score
Not that it matters much but why was this moved to other conifers.
An eastern red cedar is a misnamed juniper.
I would think that belongs in the juniper subsection.

Greg

Top Bottom