collected elm

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This elm caught my eye in the woods, mostly due to its bark, but it has good taper and nebari (my opinion), not perfect of course.... left it a little high, but I think it could be a good shohin style. not sure which kind of elm it is, maybe someone can comment there, im thinking and hoping its an american, but it could what i refer to as "the red kind", with red bark on young wood. anyway,I didn't get a photo showing what I did to the roots.. cut them back pretty hard. I think when it comes time to repot I can bring it up out of the soil and it will have a cool looking root spread. maybe stick a rock on the back side or if a new root doesn't show
0l18GYc.jpg
txtyvVP.jpg
6GKCPuQ.jpg

Reactions: Geo

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice stump.Whatever type it turns out to be,I think you will be well rewarded.Interesting stuff in the background too.

hey, thanks Geo! that's reassuring. My only thought is that maybe i should have chopped it lower, but I didn't want to. have so see where the shoots show up I guess.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
IMO not much lower.It is the movement you have that I like.(Not waiting for the dumb jokes.)

that's what I thought as well, the next chop will be at the new leader, if it comes out of the chop I think it would still be fine, although its a small tree, at the base under the soil it was about 2.5 inches wide.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
How did you apply the cut paste to the cut? It looks like it's all in the middle and not on the edge of the cut. That leaves the cut cambium vulnerable. The edge is the only thing you should care about. Roll it out and place a thin line on the outside of the cut. Wet your fingers with water and mold that so that 50% is on the dead wood and 50% is on the bark. That will protect the cambium from drying out (prevent dieback) and save you cut paste in the end.

I am personally of the school of thought that covering a large would completely with cut paste will eventually promote rot, not prevent it. If I plan on healing a chop for a number of years I seal it with wood glue up to the edge of the cambium and then use cut paste on the edge. It should promote healing on the edge and prevent the cut from rotting. Food for thought.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
ya know.. I did put the paste on the edges but then I went to do more root work and dunked it in water, then forgot to go back and reapply to the edges... but I did originally make sure to get the edges.. in this case im not really hoping for a leader to come out of the cut.. but good call. I need to get some of that clay cut paste here soon because im using the glue kind. thanks for the comment. you dig anything up yet?

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
No, I don't have easy access to a lot of wooded land. I normally dig a few landscape trees from CL each year. Nothing this year so far.

I've been repotting. Each year I acquire less trees so I have fewer trees to repot this year than I did last year. I'm almost done for the year.

The clay cut paste is the only kind I'll use now after working with it for a year. It's so much better than the other stuff.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You really don't need cut paste on an elm. They grow so fast and out of cuts that they heal pretty quickly.
You can chop to height on collected elms too. Like I mentioned they sprout of the cut.
This one looks to be American. Look around where you got it from. Where there is one there are more. The parent tree should be nearby. That should tell you what kind it is.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
send me a link where you get your paste
For a cheap viable alternative to bonsai cut paste go to your local hardware store and look for "duct seal" Comes in 1+ pound blocks and is a putty that will work well for sealing.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
so I've had bud activity on this one for a while now, but what is curious is the slow rate of growth on these buds, which is causing me to think this might actually be a hop hornbeam. these buds have been on here for over a month and are moving at very slow rate.. it seems my elms bud out pretty quick once they show.. but I could be wrong, time will tell. I am partial to this one, glad to see it seems to be doing well. if it turns out to be a hophorn that would be quite the pleasant surprise. however the slow rate of growth could be attributed to the type of pot I chose or various other factors.

W4y78AR.jpg

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
gosh I hope so, decided I wanted one of these too late in the season to get one this year. I'll let you know if I head up your way for memorial day for sure, my dog got injured in the woods pretty bad the other day so I may not make it up until June.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dude....That is the one that looks just like elm....
Pretty sure that's what I got!

Bitchin.

Sorce

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
only bad thing is now im pretty sure the other one I have is one too, and well I treated it like an elm when I collected and was pretty aggressive on the root pruning.. That other one has shown no signs. pretty upset with myself for making such a foolish mistake on that one.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
update on this one, seems to be growing strong, though slow. got this late bloomer bud coming up high, really hope it makes it cause it like where it is.
XCU1HdH.jpg
JniUNcb.jpg
tNTdoHB.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you hitting it with fertilizer? Hard?

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
yea but not super hard.. probably not as hard as I could, dyna grow, which is what I use mostly, will burn the leaves if mix to heavy, but I give it fish and kelp mix and the oscomote has been applied twice now.

think I should step it up a notch?

Top Bottom