Collected EWP

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey folks. I went looking for dry land fish with some friends the other day and came across this tree on a rock face. I really loved the character of the bark and the gnarly natural twist it had at the base. The roots were amazingly flat as it had grown in what looked like decaying leaves. There were no downward growing roots and I literally just picked it up. No tools, no sweat, nothing. There was only one larger root that was growing parallel to the rock. I clipped it once I got home, but it has what I think to be a very reasonable bit of fine roots so I think it will bounce back pretty well. I know EWP can be a pain in the ass, but I'll see what I can do with it over the next few years.

And apologies if the pics aren't the best. I didn't plan for this and I just threw together what I could. Check back in a year or two. ?

Attachments

• IMG_20190410_160808.jpg
    IMG_20190410_160808.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20190410_160901.jpg
    IMG_20190410_160901.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20190410_163755.jpg
    IMG_20190410_163755.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20190415_145150.jpg
    IMG_20190415_145150.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20190415_145221.jpg
    IMG_20190415_145221.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 96

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cool.:cool:
Next year about this time, knock off all the candles. It will rebud at the terminals like a JBP and should also produce fascicular buds that will also produce new shoots (ramification) in the same year. One can control needle length by adjusting the time one does this, just like JBP.
But, this year, I would let it get established in the pot. If budding is this strong next year, then carry on!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree! I am sure this is a red pine pinus resinosa, bark looks similar to a scots but the long needles tell me its resinosa. If it is a scots, that's even better!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree! I am sure this is a red pine pinus resinosa, bark looks similar to a scots but the long needles tell me its resinosa. If it is a scots, that's even better!
Good catch!

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for the comments folks. I'll say that I am not well educated with pines. I counted 3 needle clusters and just assumed. Thanks for setting me straight. I will just read and feed for a while and plan for next year.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Doesn't look like a loblolly! Those and Virginia pine are the only native ones here in VA I'm familiar with, not sure what else you have in Southwest VA.

I really like the serpentine look of the base and roots, great tree!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey folks. I went looking for dry land fish with some friends the other day and came across this tree on a rock face.

Interesting base to embrace;). How you find tree looking for babe?

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think your mention of "dry land fish" is what they call Babes in his neck of the woods. Lol!
Ahhhhhh..well thank you for the translation.

My friend has quite a bit of land that covers part of a ridge line and the surrounding slopes. We we're just making a day of it and I wanted to check out the rock walls to see what kind of cool stuff was growing on them. I was pleasantly surprised.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
In theory, we should only collect trees we know the identity of. In practice, trees don't come with labels. If the ID of a tree can be narrowed down enough that one knows what horticultural techniques it needs, that will probably have to do. There is such a thing as a useful approximation.

Top Bottom