Collected field maple - trimming question

aleph

Seed
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I will be very grateful for helping me with this little confusion.

This year I've collected that ca. 30+ year old field maple. As you can see it was hard pruned leaving just naked trunk alone. From one month later up to this day it was normally fed and watered adding sometimes some seaweed extract or biostimulator etc. It seems that especially one shoot is growing on a very strong sap path (it became twice as thick as the other shoots) so I've trimmed it down to one leaf pair (still growing strong). Some apical meristems from stronger shoots were removed. I also pinch the biggest leafs every now and then. No wiring.

My question is could/should I trim all top and middle shoots down to 1-2 leaf pairs now or let them grow, heal the wounds and trim them in next spring? I am confused because I've read in a book that I can trim the shoot which has reached to 4-6 leaf pairs but don't know if it is applicable also in such case (collected naked trunk tree).

Thank you in advance :)

Height: 63cm
Trunk diameter: 33cm (measured above the biggest right-hand root)

Collected - 04/16/2011

Roots

05/28

06/22

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is great material! Good eye, aleph. As for your question, I can't give a good answer. I just wanted to say nice find. :)

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
IMO, I would let it grow (leave it alone) for the rest of this year and prune back as you described, next spring. I would let the tree grow to strengthen itself. The roots need to be growing well in order to do a lot of pruning over again this year. Again, IMO.

Dave

aleph

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your replies. As DaveV said I will probably just let it grow and cut back next spring.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice taper, base and subtle movement on that one. Great find.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think that first branch on the right might make for a decent first branch though it's a tiny bit low -- if you wire some nice curves into it while it's young and let it grow out you could make a very interesting look.

Top Bottom