Collected Fir and Spruce from northern NM

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Went collecting in Carson National Forest today. Permit in hand and dragging my 8 and 9 year olds along. They enjoyed themselves, even while I was digging trenches! Glad they came along. Scored 2 engleman spruce and 1 cork bark fir (possibly Douglas fir). 1 spruce and the fir have great shape, branching and had a very shallow and root filled ball. 1 spruce is a 50/50 call. Quite a few feeder roots but I heavily disturbed the ball. During the extraction several large rocks pulled the ball apart. The 1 fir has a great shape and deadwood. Great natural unicorn spike shooting out the top with a 2.5-3” trunk or so. Excited with the finds. 38B94E85-0085-401D-9AFF-022C3E0C4C98.jpeg612EB279-4E6C-4434-BAF9-5D3639044D7D.jpeg4BFDA0F0-AAF2-4DA7-BE8D-6C7B3BE56644.jpeg

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey, I was out collecting today too, but in the Jemez! Nice haul there. Your unicorn is a Doug Fir. I got an Englemann raft that I geotagged last fall. I didn’t remember it being that big - my pack weighed 90 pounds! After hauling it over endless deadfall trees, I was too exhausted and it was too late to get any more. I’ve been looking for a dougy. I’m envious of yours!
C67361AA-4542-4B9A-B9EF-7BFFCA77B8F6.jpeg
13AF4DA6-189C-4AA3-8A5D-06257B324986.jpeg
77A3F4EC-8CED-464B-B390-F5DA22D00CAB.jpeg

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey, I was out collecting today too, but in the Jemez! Nice haul there. Your unicorn is a Doug Fir. I got an Englemann raft that I geotagged last fall. I didn’t remember it being that big - my pack weighed 90 pounds! After hauling it over endless deadfall trees, I was too exhausted and it was too late to get any more. I’ve been looking for a dougy. I’m envious of yours!
View attachment 190628
View attachment 190630
View attachment 190629
90 pounds is hell of a weight in tough terrain . Did you used some special pack like hunters are using?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doug Fir for sure. Good trees and collecting. Excellent aftercare will ensure survival;)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 190628
View attachment 190630
View attachment 190629

Great workout. Make sure tree survives to make worthwhile;).

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 190628
View attachment 190630
View attachment 190629
Nice! Up near hopewell lake the short spruce and fir we’re EVERYWHERE. With more time and another permit I would have snagged more for sure.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here’s the second spruce. Great double trunk. Root ball was small but on closer inspection it had lots of feeder roots.

Here’s my question. Does anyone think with a smaller root ball, which dropped quite a bit of its original soil and microbes, that I should also trim back the foliage some? Less for the roots to take care of? All the success I’ve had collecting is with junipers and I’ve been great at keeping the original root ball intact.
E97A920D-4706-497E-A5C0-F5B2D1FDB618.jpeg

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here’s the second spruce. Great double trunk. Root ball was small but on closer inspection it had lots of feeder roots.

Here’s my question. Does anyone think with a smaller root ball, which dropped quite a bit of its original soil and microbes, that I should also trim back the foliage some? Less for the roots to take care of? All the success I’ve had collecting is with junipers and I’ve been great at keeping the original root ball intact.
View attachment 190826
No, leave the foliage alone. Spruces store their energy in the vascular system for the winter. Hopefully, yours has enough to grow roots. It needs the photosynthetic surface area to build up new reserves.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, leave the foliage alone. Spruces store their energy in the vascular system for the winter. Hopefully, yours has enough to grow roots. It needs the photosynthetic surface area to build up new reserves.
Good man. Thank you. Where in NM are you?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, it has a cargo shelf. I think I moved at around half a kilometer per hour! Too extreme.
View attachment 190669
View attachment 190670
I use the same pack! Works very well, but if find it slow going too;). It is a big improvement over the gunny sack method. The last two fir i grabbed were heavy as well. These are sub-alpine fir collected around 4,600 feet. At least the heavy load is on the way down. But i lack the four footed friend to help.
For conifers do not remove any foliage that is healthy. As noted the more needles for photosynthesis the better.

Attachments

• IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    586.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    421.4 KB · Views: 43

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score

View attachment 190826
According to my experience with Norway spruce, they drop all needles except last year foliage during following weeks after collection. So, maybe your spruce will react similarly, no need to worry.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
According to my experience with Norway spruce, they drop all needles except last year foliage during following weeks after collection. So, maybe your spruce will react similarly, no need to worry.
I’m confident they’ll survive, and your comments sure help!

Top Bottom