Collected hawthorn from JudyB

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
He everybody.
A couple days ago I got the hawthorn that I bought from @JudyB 's fall sale and wanted to start a new thread for it, here's the original thread if you'd like to see its progression. http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/sulking-hawthorn.6056/
Just a quick picture of it after it was unboxed.20161028_173003.jpg
It's a very rugged feeling tree, and I absolutely love the pot. I'm very excited to continue the progression of this tree.
I'll post update pictures in spring.:)

Aaron

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice trunk and very interesting/unique pot;). Possibility of twin trunk.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I started pruning a bit here and there today as spring seems not to far off. I have a question considering this is my first hawthorn.
First the tree as it stands today.20170207_142549.jpg
This straight part up top is really bothering me and it's to stiff to put much movement.20170207_142602.jpg
Finally the question, can I prune back to a node like this and expect a bud...20170207_142617.jpg
Or do I need to prune back to an active bud like so?20170207_142647.jpg
@JudyB @Brian Van Fleet
Thanks for any help.

Aaron

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Aaron, nice little tree. Or you say cute? My point is you've got three or four branches coming out off one node there (right where you have that straight branch) and some of them should go. But it depends on which trunk line you wanna follow, young branches at the top of the thicker trunk or right branch? I agree with Potawatomi on pruning.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Aaron, nice little tree. Or you say cute? My point is you've got three or four branches coming out off one node there (right where you have that straight branch) and some of them should go. But it depends on which trunk line you wanna follow, young branches at the top of the thicker trunk or right branch? I agree with Potawatomi on pruning.
No, this one is not a cute tree. Judy did a great job keeping PPB. There's only 3 from that spot and I'm debating whether to lose the straight branch, or the thicker one next to it. Thanks for the pruning advice, I'd hate to prune to hard and end up losing a branch.

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Pruned it back as I liked, removed 1 of the large branches from that group of 3. Yes, I use wood glue as cut paste!20170208_072652.jpg 20170208_072705.jpg
I made a few midnight virts last night, one as a twin trunk, the other with the smaller trunk removed.20170207_142549_20170208000037780.jpg 20170207_142549_20170208001228175.jpg
I asked my fiancé and a friend of mine with much more experience which they liked, both choose the single trunk design. I think I agree, what do you think?

Aaron

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pruned it back as I liked, removed 1 of the large branches from that group of 3. Yes, I use wood glue as cut paste!View attachment 131359 View attachment 131360
I made a few midnight virts last night, one as a twin trunk, the other with the smaller trunk removed.View attachment 131361 View attachment 131362
I asked my fiancé and a friend of mine with much more experience which they liked, both choose the single trunk design. I think I agree, what do you think?

Aaron

The virts, yes I agree, single trunk one is nicer. In reality I think there's better long term potential by keeping the lower as well. Looks like there are dormant buds lower on the small trunk too.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd prune off the branch on the inside of the bend (1st right hand branch). It visually interrupts the movement you put into the trunk by developing this leader.

The small basal shoot needs to be substantially grown out then given a severe chop to make it look like a small sub trunk - visually it is too weak to pair with the main trunk. In your virt it has little taper or movement.

The 2 little shots at the top don't really add a great deal - I'd prune them and then this lets you carve out the dead section for taper.

Lastly, which line for the next part of the trunk have you chosen? You've wired up a nice section that shows good taper, movement but you've left the thick upper branch in tact?

These are constructive observations which in my opinion would make a better tree in the long run.

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would keep the branch coming from the base, it doesnt obscure the trunk from your chosen front and makes the tree more interesting, it will help to build a better base and nebari over time, its very well positioned. i'd have it bit shorter though. i'd go with the mother/daughter image if was mine.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This sucker really grows quickly, I left the smaller trunk unpruned to let it thicken a bit more the next season or two. I was actually pretty hard on the roots during the repot so I'm happy it's reacting this way.20170413_072700.jpg
Aaron

Top Bottom