Collected Hawthorn History

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Next year I may withhold the fungicides and see if it grows stronger.

My reliance on fungicides has decreased significantly since I became religious about dormant spraying. Have you been able to get away with less?

- Scott

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My reliance on fungicides has decreased significantly since I became religious about dormant spraying. Have you been able to get away with less?

- Scott
Not really. This still gets cedar-apple rust. Although, it seems in the last couple years, it presents as a swelling just behind the petiole in a few random shoots, as opposed to yellow spots with black spores on the undersides of some leaves. I have done dormant oil and LS on the schedule in your article, but I may be able to increase the number of treatments with our longer winter. My C. quince has it bad.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not really. This still gets cedar-apple rust. Although, it seems in the last couple years, it presents as a swelling just behind the petiole in a few random shoots, as opposed to yellow spots with black spores on the undersides of some leaves. I have done dormant oil and LS on the schedule in your article, but I may be able to increase the number of treatments with our longer winter. My C. quince has it bad.

That’s a bummer - I’ve been very happy with how my tridents have been doing, but I’ve never dealt with hawthornes or cedar apple rust before. I was wondering how your tree would respond. Have you considered giving Bordeaux mix a try instead of lime sulfur. It leaves a powdery residue that hangs around for several months. I wonder if that residue might help extend the treatment a bit longer.

Scott

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That’s a bummer - I’ve been very happy with how my tridents have been doing, but I’ve never dealt with hawthornes or cedar apple rust before. I was wondering how your tree would respond. Have you considered giving Bordeaux mix a try instead of lime sulfur. It leaves a powdery residue that hangs around for several months. I wonder if that residue might help extend the treatment a bit longer.

Scott
Hadn’t considered Bordeaux mix, but I’m willing to give it a try. Do you have a brand recommendation? Ironically, I’ve not had any fungal problems with my tridents. A little late-season powdery mildew on J. Maples, but nothing that interfered with fall color.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hadn’t considered Bordeaux mix, but I’m willing to give it a try. Do you have a brand recommendation? Ironically, I’ve not had any fungal problems with my tridents. A little late-season powdery mildew on J. Maples, but nothing that interfered with fall color.

Recipe is here: https://www.bonsainut.com/resources/dormant-season-spraying-part-2-lime-sulfur-and-bordeaux-mix.37/

Don’t use it in a season you plan to show the tree. It takes awhile for the residue to disappear.

- S

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I spotted the "49" and that nice BMW went flashing bye...centimeters is indicated at the end. Phew, thought it was inches!!🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

I love this shape and the glaze/patina seems spot on. Should be a striking presentation.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I spotted the "49" and that nice BMW went flashing bye...centimeters is indicated at the end. Phew, thought it was inches!!🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

I love this shape and the glaze/patina seems spot on. Should be a striking presentation.
Nah...cm...and cheap enough that the bimmer is still on the table.😜

Top Bottom