Collected Hawthorn History

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Leafing out, hopeful for some strong growth this year. I didn’t use any fungicide other than lime sulfur this spring. Somehow I can’t help but think the systemic granular and liquid Bionide stunt growth in deciduous trees.
View attachment 363968
Always enjoy seeing this tree Brian. I’ve never had a fungus problem on mine. Were you doing it prophylatically?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leafing out, hopeful for some strong growth this year. I didn’t use any fungicide other than lime sulfur this spring. Somehow I can’t help but think the systemic granular and liquid Bionide stunt growth in deciduous trees.

I didn't expect to like it as much as I do in leaf. I love the balance, and how the subtrunks peek out just enough through the leaves.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Love this tree. @Brian Van Fleet have you ever thought of darkening the deadwood to blend in a bit more? Hawthorns over here have an almost nutty brown deadwood naturally. I can’t help thinking it may suit well.

RH-W

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome work. Beautiful tree. Seeing the progress over time is very inspiring. One of these years I'm going to get a Hawthorne.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Love this tree. @Brian Van Fleet have you ever thought of darkening the deadwood to blend in a bit more? Hawthorns over here have an almost nutty brown deadwood naturally. I can’t help thinking it may suit well.
Yeah, it’s a little too white right now, especially when photographed with a flash.
I probably need to let it go natural and treat it with a wood preserver instead of LS. Unchecked it tends to go black and rot.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s a little too white right now, especially when photographed with a flash.
I probably need to let it go natural and treat it with a wood preserver instead of LS. Unchecked it tends to go black and rot.
Interesting. C monogyna deadwood seems to last forever in a natural environment. Is C spathulata quite a naturally degradable tree then or is it in the bonsai or environment more so?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Interesting. C monogyna deadwood seems to last forever in a natural environment. Is C spathulata quite a naturally degradable tree then or is it in the bonsai or environment more so?
In nature, they don’t display a lot of deadwood. They’re slow-growing trees, so the wood is pretty dense. The rot I was referring to is more a fissuring or cracking in the exposed deadwood. I guess it’s rather persistent, considering I last carved that chop around 15 years ago.😜

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
In nature, they don’t display a lot of deadwood. They’re slow-growing trees, so the wood is pretty dense. The rot I was referring to is more a fissuring or cracking in the exposed deadwood. I guess it’s rather persistent, considering I last carved that chop around 15 years ago.😜
Ha quite right! Either way, this thread is an education and it looks killer in that pot.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nope. It was blooming when I sawed it down in 1999, and it hasn’t bloomed since.
Do you know this page?

I have a hawthorn that has flowered only the first year I had it. I started doing this 2 (?) years ago. This year I have 3 branches with flower buds. Not saying this certainly works, but I am happy so far!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Do you know this page?

I have a hawthorn that has flowered only the first year I had it. I started doing this 2 (?) years ago. This year I have 3 branches with flower buds. Not saying this certainly works, but I am happy so far!
Thanks, I had not seen that article. It’s pretty close to how I treat this one, and mine even has fruiting Spurs like the article shows...they just never do anything.

The largest difference I see is that I repot mine frequently, but I don’t think I could get 3 years out of a repot, Graham talks about letting them go 5-6. This one grows roots 6’ long in a year.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It was 10 years before mine started flowering again. Once it started, each consecutive year it put more and more on. I prune the vegetative shoots when the flowers are fully opened. I should probably wait longer but don’t want to waste the photo opportunity. Lately it’s requiring me to prune off flowering spurs to maintain the silhouette. This tree is the least time consuming in the collection and gives me the most enjoyment.

Top Bottom