Collected hawthorn

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi folks. This is a hawthorn i collected 2-3 years ago. It was one of 5 trees planted as a hedge around 1890. I defoliated the tree this summer after a nasty rust attack. The leaves came out fresh and the tree rewarded me with buds all over. Feel free to throw in your ideas about further styling. :)

Attachments

• Trenched.jpg
    Trenched.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Dug.jpg
    Dug.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Hag3.jpg
    Hag3.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Hawthorn-today.jpg
    Hawthorn-today.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 188

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Jan,

All I can say is WOW! ...Very nice trunk and great recovery response. I think it might be a bit early to decide on styling choices...but one can dream I suppose :p

Great find...give it a chance to rest and recoup and you'll have some stonker material in no time at all

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi Jan,

All I can say is WOW! ...Very nice trunk and great recovery response. I think it might be a bit early to decide on styling choices...but one can dream I suppose :p

Great find...give it a chance to rest and recoup and you'll have some stonker material in no time at all

I didn't see Toms response until after I read, and looked at your photos, and Tom said it very well Wow, nice find Jan.

I realize that hawthorn has about a gazillion varietys, but is defoliating something that works with these in general, or is it limited to certain species, or even to the European local??

Those things just attract the rust don't they, although I have to say that I have only had to remove a few leaves last year, this year so far I have stayed clean.

Here is one I have in training(not a great photo, but you get the idea), not nearly so impressive as yours Jan, but I am liking it so far. Do you clip the needles, and do you realize that by doing so you get some budding as well? Yes the grow box is an old kitchen cabinet drawer:D.

Attachments

• hawthornyamadori.jpg
    hawthornyamadori.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 84

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine is a common hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna). As to defoliating I do that to almost all of my deciduous trees, as long as they are growing vigorously. The rust attacks usually starts in early spring and it is a constant battle throughout summer. If I defoliate in early summer the rust stops. I do not cut the thorns, there is more than enough shoots after defoliating.
I really like your tree, full of choices. I like the penjing way it is going as it is, you can always chop chop if you want to go Japanese, so to speak. :)

Top Bottom