Collected Hawthorne

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I dug out this hawthorne the other day. washed off all the native soil, had many big roots, cut them back hard, ( my opinion). sealed the roots with a rooting gel (sealer and hormone) sealed the trunk chop with the glue style cut paste. Left it a little tall, maybe someone can give a better chop height but it is over 3" at the base. Went with a layering method with the soil on this one, basically covered most of the roots with my bonsai soil mix, then did a layer of sphag moss then poured the fines from my sifted napa on top, then put moss on the top of that. fell free to comment.
RLeSgXL.jpg
4vN2E4Z.jpg
4lHheeB.jpg
ECUxhH1.jpg

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I like this one. Itching for a haw myself.

FWIW most of your root growth will be downward in this pot. This tree has a root structure that is developed enough that you should only be encouraging lateral growth. In two years I'd put it in something shallower. I use oil drip pans and mica pots if I have them. If you want something really big and have the space you can get cement mixing tubs at Home Depot. Pond baskets are great but IMO may not be necessary for something this big.

Root reduction is about what I would do for first collection. At next repot start to take those large roots back further. They'll eventually need to be cut 0.5-1" from the trunk. Cut as many at that location as you can. If you need to cut in two stages only cut half of the roots close one year and the rest another year. Don't cut them in half one year and then take them back further the next, it's redundant work.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
thanks for the comments, all makes sense. I agree the roots will need to be flattened out laterally but I didn't want to reduce much more than what I did to get it in a smaller container, I collected this with success and recovery in mind, not as much shaping, but man when i saw the roots i was surprised, this was growing in sand... but I did think that these roots could have been cut back even more. This one had a twin right next to it that I left in the ground.. single trunk, smaller diameter, but has taper.. I severed all roots and trimmed it but left it there, rained the following day so im sure it will be healthy.. I could grab it easily tomorrow or next year. figure id see how this one does.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah those roots look good man, i have collected worse.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
thanks, first hawthorne that I've collected, so im treading lightly until I have my data. haha not sure if that's a back handed comment or not, so what is your opinion on the rest of the stump?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like you have plenty of roots. NOw get them nice and warm so they can grown.

I would however have trimmed the top back a lot more. Probably taken 3/4 of the trunks above the split off. I think you might otherwise have to trim in 2 years again. Just a thought :)

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like you have plenty of roots. NOw get them nice and warm so they can grown.

I would however have trimmed the top back a lot more. Probably taken 3/4 of the trunks above the split off. I think you might otherwise have to trim in 2 years again. Just a thought :)

yea I stood in the field staring at this thing for a while, I even knew that was probably what I should do when I did the chop. my thought was im not sure how far it might die back or maybe a good leader wouldn't even show up until just above the split.. so my question is.. should I just cut the trunk back now.. or later this season to try and save wasted energy in the tree.. or just wait and see how it recovers and just plan the chop in two years when its adapted to container life.. I think I could lop the trunk of now without much if any root disturbance in this case.. maybe just lop the skinnier one shorter now? or just leave it alone at this point?

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Im getting a lot of bud activity on this one, on both trunks, low and high and at many differnt angles. took a while, and one night when i had all my other new collects in the garage i left this one out by accident and it got pretty cold so I was nervous.

AxA0tOA.jpg
6I447M0.jpg
l0xIt2F.jpg

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is another one I collected in December and put it straight to the garden bed, its been budding out for a while now, i think this one could have some good potential as well. thanks for looking. comments welcome.

MEdB6CW.jpg
lIKMiL5.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice....

The first one...perfect!

Man....I read or watched Walter Pall say people do too much root work too fast.

The only way to get it bangin is to have roots to support it.

Well done.

Sorce

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Im getting a lot of bud activity on this one, on both trunks, low and high and at many differnt angles. took a while, and one night when i had all my other new collects in the garage i left this one out by accident and it got pretty cold so I was nervous.

Excellent trunk. There's a lot of fabulous ancient appearance character to work with on both trunks.

AxA0tOA.jpg
6I447M0.jpg
l0xIt2F.jpg

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
this one is growing pretty strong.. not sure if I should start nipping some of the higher stuff or just let it go and decide if im going to lower both trunks and use a low branch. any suggestions?
aenPKXa.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2015-06-05 13.53.33.jpg 2015-08-11 18.42.15.jpg
or just let i
I would let it go. Let it get some roots going then cut it back next year.
I have one something like this one. This will be it's second year just growing free. The branches lengthen fast but it seems to take forever for them to thicken.
First picture is a couple weeks after collection. Second is mid summer last year. None from this year yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom