Collected Hornbeam, Carpinus Caroliniana

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That’s keen healthy!

thread wise man, the graft I made as leader that was looking awesome, it was dime fat on the good side and still thread narrow on the back....I cut it last week and the branch died, I will never do this again with this species. I knew I should have waited despite what it looked and homework..

In future will wait at least through a dormant cycle however ideal the appearance.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That’s keen healthy!

thread wise man, the graft I made as leader that was looking awesome, it was dime fat on the good side and still thread narrow on the back....I cut it last week and the branch died, I will never do this again with this species. I knew I should have waited despite what it looked and homework..

In future will wait at least through a dormant cycle however ideal the appearance.
Wow!, that sucks....

That's my plan with them now too....wait for leaves to change color and begin falling, then wire and cut back.

I used to always wait till spring, but I think now that Autumn is best, once dormancy begins.

So I'll get to that this fall...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks to me you have at least one branch on top, about an inch down from the chop?

Come spring (or if you still have a month of growth, now) carve along the living section of the back. Cut paste to avoid drying back. Let the top branch grow, keep the lower ones sorted to not compete and frequently remove to keep cut marks small. Should get lots of backbudding when vigour returns.

Nice tree. Watch out for sunburn on the bark. Very sensitive bark I have found (lost a very big one to sunburn on half of the trunk after a cut back..)

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Looks to me you have at least one branch on top, about an inch down from the chop?

Come spring (or if you still have a month of growth, now) carve along the living section of the back. Cut paste to avoid drying back. Let the top branch grow, keep the lower ones sorted to not compete and frequently remove to keep cut marks small. Should get lots of backbudding when vigour returns.

Nice tree. Watch out for sunburn on the bark. Very sensitive bark I have found (lost a very big one to sunburn on half of the trunk after a cut back..)
@leatherback @TN_Jim not trying to be an a hole but whats the difference between the hornbeam i posted and this hornbeam. What is missing just for future digs. Guys please try to look at this as an attempt to learn im really just trying to learn

Penjing-Darren

Sapling
Reaction score
Nice, Keeps is posted on the progress. Have a feeling it's going to be a beauty. Growing nice and strongly.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@leatherback @TN_Jim not trying to be an a hole but whats the difference between the hornbeam i posted and this hornbeam. What is missing just for future digs. Guys please try to look at this as an attempt to learn im really just trying to learn
Difference is.. this has been dug and in a pot for a year. Telling someone to walk away when the deed is done is a different story.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Yes, I'm hoping that I can carve into it and create a hollow that it can roll into, while creating a better transition to the new leader.

I dont know if I'll have a good spot for it in the ground next year....might create that area next year....we'll see.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm still going back and forth on wether I should repot this tree this year or leave it untouched.....

I may just repot into a large pot, keeping all the roots that I can and giving it a ton of room for a few years....

I plan to try to chop lower, at that first branch, but its still a small branch, I think it needs another year to really run before I can safely cut....

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you thought about going all the way to the base?

Wondering what people think about that.

I wouldn't normally entertain the idea....
But here it seems why not.

Sorce

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just slip potted (same soil type, 8822 and some pine conditioner ) two previously collected hornbeam from colanders into 7 gallon pots.

The reason for this is one of them only grew ~18’ last year, while another that was collected same day & location, but put into 7 gallon, grew 6’ in 2019.

I’ve kinda gone full tilt with this approach/experiment as an alternative to ground growing, going to have a lot of things in big nursery pots soon this year.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Have you thought about going all the way to the base?

Wondering what people think about that.

I wouldn't normally entertain the idea....
But here it seems why not.

Sorce
What do you mean?

As I recall this tree is planted with the saw cut flat on the bottom of the white pot anf the nebari is wide, taking up nearly the whole pot.

So its planted deep and I really wanna see what going on in there.....and give it more room to run.....but don't want to set it back.

Top Bottom