Collected Juniper Branch Chop?

Raak

Seedling
Reaction score
_20210613_190532.JPGhad to remove a juniper which was outgrowing it's space in the garden. Decided to keep it to see if it can survive in a container. My question: is it ever advisable to remove (large) branches from a newly collected tree? I would like to remove the righthandside lower horizontal branch. Or is it always safer to leave the tree for a year or so before touching the top? Thanks

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Decided to keep it to see if it can survive in a container. My question: is it ever advisable to remove (large) branches from a newly collected tree? I would like to remove the righthandside lower horizontal branch. Or is it always safer to leave the tree for a year or so before touching the top? Thanks

You can remove that lower branch if you want.
There is enough foliage to support the tree without it.
I would consider using it to make a jin.
I wouldnt do any more than that at this time.

Last edited:

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You’ll hear different opinions. Some people swear by removing branches so that it is less taxing on the roots. Or their may not be enough root mass to keep up with transpiration. Thus it will dry out. Also the leaves respiring will help grow more roots. My opinion is that it is probably safe to remove the bottom right branches. You probably don’t have enough root mass to keep up with all that foliage after removing. Make sure to keep in shaded area all day maybe morning sun is all if any sun. And keep watered. I’d imagine removing foliage is good in this situation. Maybe thin out a little after removing those bottom right branches. But listen to what others say as well.

Raak

Seedling
Reaction score
You’ll hear different opinions. Some people swear by removing branches so that it is less taxing on the roots. Or their may not be enough root mass to keep up with transpiration. Thus it will dry out. Also the leaves respiring will help grow more roots. My opinion is that it is probably safe to remove the bottom right branches. You probably don’t have enough root mass to keep up with all that foliage after removing. Make sure to keep in shaded area all day maybe morning sun is all if any sun. And keep watered. I’d imagine removing foliage is good in this situation. Maybe thin out a little after removing those bottom right branches. But listen to what others say as well.
Yeah, I am scratching my head at the 'enough foilage to support the roots' vs 'too much foilage for the roots to manage' issue. Certainly it is VERY dense on top, and I could only take so much of the root system. I think, as is the general consensus in this thread, removing something from the top is permitable here. I did manage to get the rootball out more or less intact, and put it directly in the pot, so - with junipers being sensitive to rootwork - hopefully that will help. I will make sure it's in the shade mostly. Garden faces north. Many thanks

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, I am scratching my head at the 'enough foilage to support the roots' vs 'too much foilage for the roots to manage' issue. Certainly it is VERY dense on top, and I could only take so much of the root system. I think, as is the general consensus in this thread, removing something from the top is permitable here. I did manage to get the rootball out more or less intact, and put it directly in the pot, so - with junipers being sensitive to rootwork - hopefully that will help. I will make sure it's in the shade mostly. Garden faces north. Many thanks
I didn’t explain what I meant well. Having enough foliage being vital to growing more roots. For a quicker and healthy recovery. But it sounds like it will be good 👍

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
My experience is the whole junipers being sensitive to root work is well overdone. All the junipers that come out of my grow beds as well as those from other gardens have recovered just fine after significant root reduction.

The key to recovery seems to be leaving some intact growing tips. You can remove whole branches safely provided you leave others unpruned. Reducing all branches equally will reduce viability.
I would have no problem taking off one of those main branches.

Raak

Seedling
Reaction score
🤔 Just 🤔.

Sorce
Yes it sounds like a ridiculous sentence but the juniper was surrounded by four other coniferous trees (which it was almost touching already) and had become leggy due to a lack of proper care. It wasn't necessary to remove it but it has been replaced with a willow tree which perhaps looks better and will grow upwards, not outwards

Attachments

• DSC_5233.JPG
    DSC_5233.JPG
    324.5 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom