Collected Juniper Procumbens

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
I recently collected this Juniper from a garden, but unfortunately there were not many roots with it, so I have removed almost all the foliage and potted it up. If it survives, it would be a miracle, but I don't plan on doing anything for a year or two. Any thoughts on it?

Attachments

• Procumbens Yamadori #3 006.jpg
    Procumbens Yamadori #3 006.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Procumbens Yamadori #3 008.jpg
    Procumbens Yamadori #3 008.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Procumbens Yamadori #3 010.jpg
    Procumbens Yamadori #3 010.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 108

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
By the way, all the foliage was already at the top and much of the trunk seen now was under the soil line. Here is a picture of top down and the base.

Attachments

• Procumbens Yamadori #3 013.jpg
    Procumbens Yamadori #3 013.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Procumbens Yamadori #3 012.jpg
    Procumbens Yamadori #3 012.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 52

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It would really help to know where you are. I would suggest only a few hours of morning sun until it begins to push new growth, but that would definately depend on your location...the gulf coast is a bit different then Seattle. Keep the soil slightly moist...overwaterin will kill the remaining roots. Mist the foliage several times a day.

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
It would really help to know where you are. I would suggest only a few hours of morning sun until it begins to push new growth, but that would definately depend on your location...the gulf coast is a bit different then Seattle. Keep the soil slightly moist...overwaterin will kill the remaining roots. Mist the foliage several times a day.

Apologies, I am in Southeastern PA, USA Zone 6. I have it in a free draining soil, so, hopefully, overwatering won't be a problem. It has new sprouts on the trunk, but I am wondering if you know if the new growth continuing to grow would be a sign of life or if the energy left in the tree could do that as well while the tree is in drastic decline.

Last edited:

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Time will tell since junipers play possum and you never know anything is wrong until it's too late. But, like DAV4 says, go easy with the sun and water and see what happens. As you know, we're having some good rain in SE PA, so it's getting enough for now.

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
Time will tell since junipers play possum and you never know anything is wrong until it's too late. But, like DAV4 says, go easy with the sun and water and see what happens. As you know, we're having some good rain in SE PA, so it's getting enough for now.

Right now it gets about 3-4 hours of morning sun, which will gradually change as the maple above it leafs out. It's also placed closed to a corner in order to reduce the amount of wind exposure, so I hope that will help.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Let those newbuds grow out and beef up the trees health, this year just grow it strong, then see what you get

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
Let those newbuds grow out and beef up the trees health, this year just grow it strong, then see what you get

The new buds are continuing to slowly grow. I'm misting when I can, which is morning and early evening, wich is manual because I don't have a mist system. I'm slightly worried with the heavy amount of rain we've had recently, but they are as protected from wind and whipping rain as they can be at my home.

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
If you get some back budding it looks like it would be a great tree to carve up!

I totally agree with the potential for carving and deadwood! I keep my eye on the fresh buds that were very small when collected, and they continue to grow, even though I know that that growth could be simply from stored energy. I recently collected 2 more from the same garden and they are already in great shape and have good flow, but again, it's about waiting.

Top Bottom