Collected Juniper Yamadori Aftercare - humidity tent v. open misting

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A couple thoughts.
Take off the brown foliage. It can only hurt the tree by transmitting disease by keeping it on.
It seems like there is ar least some new growth from your photos.
You might try 3% H2O2. 2 TBPS/QT spray periodically.in addition to keeping the course you’ve set out.
Thanks! Yes, I'm definite wary of diseased especially with the hot/moist environment. Do you recommend spraying the peroxide solution on everything?

At risk of damaging what is green🤨🤪!
A very good point. I'll probably use a long tweezer and just grab the easy dead brown clumps. I've actually mostly just been giving the branches a light shake and whatever falls off falls off. However, I've definitely seen some green fall off with this route, I should be more careful 😅

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks! Yes, I'm definite wary of diseased especially with the hot/moist environment. Do you recommend spraying the peroxide solution on everything?

Yes

QUOTE="walee, post: 995498, member: 35589"]
A very good point. I'll probably use a long tweezer and just grab the easy dead brown clumps. I've actually mostly just been giving the branches a light shake and whatever falls off falls off. However, I've definitely seen some green fall off with this route, I should be more careful 😅
[/QUOTE]

Just use scissors, it’s easier and safer. Please be careful to ensure the surface of the soil is cleaned off to avoid reinfection

Cheers
DSD sends

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Alright guys, here is the long awaited update I'm sure many have waited for. One has survived while the other unfortunately has not. To provide a bit of context, over the past year, I've moved to Northern California and left the trees in SoCal because I'm worried they're too sensitive to bring up. During that time, the mister I had set up for the tree on the right had clogged and left the tree unmisted for possibly up to 3 weeks, so I do largely blame myself for it's death (especially having taken off the humidity tent) though we may never truly know. The one that did make it has however exploded with new roots in and coming out of the bottom of the pot. There's also visible new growth at the tips, however it has also lost SIGNIFICANT foliage. I'm not sure how to explain this other than my crappy misting system. I still keep the pots covered with plastic to prevent too much drip going down into the soil, but have cut the bottom of the bags off so the bottom of the pots are exposed to open air. I've also ran drip bubbler lines into the pots and have them watering on 9 day intervals.

Feel free to comment on why you guys think it's lost so much foliage (perhaps this is to be expected?) or any general comments.

Attachments

• IMG_3539.jpg
    IMG_3539.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3548.jpg
    IMG_3548.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3633.jpg
    IMG_3633.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3628.jpg
    IMG_3628.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 60

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
REEALY sorry you lost the one tree😖.
I loved that tree so much, I felt like I had to watch my dog die from cancer 😭 so many regrets, so many doubts. Should I have left it where it was until I was ready to care of a tree of that caliber, should I have waited for a good rainfall year, would I have ever have had the opportunity to go back? 😭

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Alright guys, here is the long awaited update I'm sure many have waited for. One has survived while the other unfortunately has not. To provide a bit of context, over the past year, I've moved to Northern California and left the trees in SoCal because I'm worried they're too sensitive to bring up. During that time, the mister I had set up for the tree on the right had clogged and left the tree unmisted for possibly up to 3 weeks, so I do largely blame myself for it's death (especially having taken off the humidity tent) though we may never truly know. The one that did make it has however exploded with new roots in and coming out of the bottom of the pot. There's also visible new growth at the tips, however it has also lost SIGNIFICANT foliage. I'm not sure how to explain this other than my crappy misting system. I still keep the pots covered with plastic to prevent too much drip going down into the soil, but have cut the bottom of the bags off so the bottom of the pots are exposed to open air. I've also ran drip bubbler lines into the pots and have them watering on 9 day intervals.

Feel free to comment on why you guys think it's lost so much foliage (perhaps this is to be expected?) or any general comments.
I have collected Utah's for a while and the die back is common on some of the collected trees, the tree is adjusting to what it can support root wise, letting the foliage it cannot support die off. I would let the one that is growing grow for close to two years before you start to play with it, enjoy!

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
My experience with collected junipers is terrible to say the least. I collected 5 smaller Western junipers (1' trunk) last fall and they all died. They were collected with a good bunch of roots right below the surface but then the long tap root was cut off. Planted in correct soil and were left out for winter and watered occasionally as needed. All dies this spring. No misting and maybe to much water along the way. I have numerous nursery purchased Western Junipers that do fine with me. From what I have read, I think junipers like moisture around their foliage area after collection. Because of my weather situation (zone 5-6) I was unable to do that. Better off collecting in the spring I think.

In regard to bagging collected trees, I have always seen the entire pot and tree bagged to create humidity for the tree. The color and type (mm thickness) of the bag is important too. Heavy black bags can create a lot of heat depending on the sun. As one gets warmer temps and more sun in the spring, I have found, with spring collected hawthorn, that it pays to switch to a lighter (0.95 mm) black bag. This cuts down on the heat and lets in sun light where the heavier bags (3mm +-) let in none. I have taken collected hawthorns that I have taken out of the heavier bag because of heat that are really struggling to produce foliage and put them (the tree and pot) in the lightweight bags mostly sealed, and the new foliage starts to roar. If the weather gets to hot, creating to much heat again, I switch to a HD white bag like the ones you would put in a compactor and put the trees in morning sun. We now have way less heat but still the needed environment for growth. I still mist every day, watch for fungus, and open the bag more and more with time and foliage growth. Has worked worked for me.

Just my thoughts and experience. This might work for your junipers that are struggling. Wish you the best OP.

Top Bottom