Collected Juniper Yamadori Aftercare - humidity tent v. open misting

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If they can handle growing berries, they'll abort them. So I'd keep those as an indicator.
Berries have a green color due to chlorophyll and I believe they do a good part of their own photosynthesis so they don't draw a lot of energy from the plant.

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Alright guys, two month update. There's been significant spot browning throughout. I've read that it is important not to panic at this stage, so I'll keep the nightly prayers going.

IMG_4128.jpg
IMG_4131.jpg IMG_4130.jpg IMG_4129.jpg
IMG_4132.jpg IMG_4133.jpg IMG_4135.jpg
Two of the berries turned black and seemed to die off, so I plucked them off. I've captured one in the photograph above.

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
IMG_4138.PNG IMG_4139.PNG
A little insight into my climate, the weather has def been reaching in to the high 90's lately, and the humidity (even inside the humidity tent) has definitely been plummeting during the day, so I've ramped up my misting to help prevent the leaves from drying (as frequently as every hour from 10AM-8PM).

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At about 11:00 Tom talks about his collection aftercare for California and Utah junipers. Keep the soil from getting too wet - particularly with misters. Tom mists about 6x per night for 10 minutes each. He does not mist during the day.

Great vid some amazing trees . Can’t imagine trying to get them off a mountain. . Before I say the next part . Keep in mind I have never even been to the southwest . What I take away from his aftercare is the man is obviously a very astute student of the trees natural . Environment . He says as much near the end of the vid . About always learning from going to collecting sites . If one considered the environment that is hot and dry during the day . And the normal climate of the desert like situation where the temp drops and the atmospheric moisture increases at night even if it’s only a small amount . Then add a tree that has had thousands of years to evolve and take advantage of this to survive . His misting at night and dry soil conditions make a lot of sense . The lesson is not what he does but why he does it . By learning from the environment and the tree itself . The difference between knowledge and wisdom

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Alright guys, two month update. There's been significant spot browning throughout. I've read that it is important not to panic at this stage, so I'll keep the nightly prayers going.

View attachment 445341
View attachment 445343 View attachment 445344 View attachment 445345
View attachment 445348 View attachment 445349 View attachment 445350
Two of the berries turned black and seemed to die off, so I plucked them off. I've captured one in the photograph above.
Walee, are you seeing any new growth at all? From the pics, the color is concerning, in my experience, the more yellow/florescent your foliage is during the collection process, unfortunately means the tree is dying. You want to see a darker green color, like the pic with your berries, the green on those leaves looks good! So hopefully, you will keep that green and start to see growth soon. Dying off foliage is normal with these trees in the collection process as long as the tree has that nice healthy green color on it, some will die off, remember we cut the roots and the tree can't support everything as it is recovering. The following pics are from our collection earlier this year, and as you can see, I have dying off foliage next to thriving foliage, you will see the darker green I am talking about, and you will see lots of new growth in just a few months. I really hope your trees make it! Good Luck!
IMG_3547.jpgIMG_3549.jpgIMG_3550.jpgIMG_3551.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have been covering pot surfaces after seeing that video a yr ago. I think it helps a lot. I’m running my mister for 1 min every 2 hrs day and night.
Recovering trees is such a learning experience! Right there with you.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Makes 3 of us up here we have none of those dry climate junipers . But I collected this common juniper late late April there known to be difficult . It wax a rock pocket tree sort of rare single stem I got a fair amount of roots . Nothing has been trimmed from the top it’s in 60 percent granite 20 percent each DE and pine bark . Misted by hand 3 times a day pot covered during misting . But some runs down the trunk buds opened and are somewhat limp but green estimate I have lost about 10 percent of the foliage to brown . No new growth yet under a crab apple tree gets fresh air and semi shade . Not sure I should not have protected from rain it’s been a wet spring think I have only watered it twice this week a few of the interior buds are peeking up a bit . I know from cole ting them in the past no matter what the test is next spring it survives the winter or it don’t

Attachments

• 09CE0729-EACB-4801-86AC-3226C6B93EE1.jpeg
    09CE0729-EACB-4801-86AC-3226C6B93EE1.jpeg
    436.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 47306C0A-565D-40DE-9EC9-572B998C86AF.jpeg
    47306C0A-565D-40DE-9EC9-572B998C86AF.jpeg
    476.5 KB · Views: 67

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

View attachment 445341
View attachment 445343 View attachment 445344 View attachment 445345
View attachment 445348 View attachment 445349 View attachment 445350
A month later, I'm wondering about their status! Would you mind keeping us posted? :)

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Alright guys, new photos hot off the camera just taken today. Sorry it took so long, I've actually since moved and my plants are sitting down in Los Angeles and I was finally able to make it down to check in on my baby. This time, I didn't edit the exposure or coloration of the photos, to provide the most accurate state of the plants.

1IMG_5301.JPG 2IMG_5297.JPG 3IMG_5298.JPG 4IMG_5299.JPG
Most of the berries have now died off on their own. I tried to capture detail shots of the foliage. I noticed that there are some of the tips are starting to develop this white dust on them that wipes off. I hope its not calcium buildup from the hard water coming out of my taps.

5IMG_5300.JPG 6IMG_5308.JPG 7IMG_5313.JPG 8IMG_5317.JPG
This little beauty had the darker green new growth that @Housguy had mentioned in his post. Bless the heavens I'm hoping my prayer are being heard. This is the tree with the thick trunk and I really want it to make it. But, boy oh boy has this plant dropped a TON of leaves. I almost want to cry seeing so much of the tree turn brown.

I should note that the pure pumice that these trees were planted felt a little dry so I did go ahead and thoroughly water the pots again and let them drain. I ultimately left he bag over the pots since it seemed like the dry dessert air in Southern California had been drying the substrate.

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Walee, are you seeing any new growth at all? From the pics, the color is concerning, in my experience, the more yellow/florescent your foliage is during the collection process, unfortunately means the tree is dying. You want to see a darker green color, like the pic with your berries, the green on those leaves looks good! So hopefully, you will keep that green and start to see growth soon. Dying off foliage is normal with these trees in the collection process as long as the tree has that nice healthy green color on it, some will die off, remember we cut the roots and the tree can't support everything as it is recovering. The following pics are from our collection earlier this year, and as you can see, I have dying off foliage next to thriving foliage, you will see the darker green I am talking about, and you will see lots of new growth in just a few months. I really hope your trees make it! Good Luck!

By the way, congrats on your successful collections. I noticed you're located nearby in Chino Hills (zone 10a, jesus...) Could you share your aftercare regiment? I'm interested to hear how you recover your trees.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Alright guys, new photos hot off the camera just taken today. Sorry it took so long, I've actually since moved and my plants are sitting down in Los Angeles and I was finally able to make it down to check in on my baby. This time, I didn't edit the exposure or coloration of the photos, to provide the most accurate state of the plants.

1View attachment 453353 2View attachment 453354 3View attachment 453355 4View attachment 453356
Most of the berries have now died off on their own. I tried to capture detail shots of the foliage. I noticed that there are some of the tips are starting to develop this white dust on them that wipes off. I hope its not calcium buildup from the hard water coming out of my taps.

5View attachment 453357 6View attachment 453358 7View attachment 453359 8View attachment 453360
This little beauty had the darker green new growth that @Housguy had mentioned in his post. Bless the heavens I'm hoping my prayer are being heard. This is the tree with the thick trunk and I really want it to make it. But, boy oh boy has this plant dropped a TON of leaves. I almost want to cry seeing so much of the tree turn brown.

I should note that the pure pumice that these trees were planted felt a little dry so I did go ahead and thoroughly water the pots again and let them drain. I ultimately left he bag over the pots since it seemed like the dry dessert air in Southern California had been drying the substrate.
Rip

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey, they ain't dead yet, and still plenty of growing season left in SoCal. I've seen plenty of trees in the wild come back from worse than these.
Even if they don't make it, we're getting updates on the necropsy to learn from.

@walee I'm concerned that the white stuff you mentioned could be powdery mildew. Not sure about your region, but here it can be serious issue. I'd treat with neem oil preventatively every week or two just in case.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey, they ain't dead yet, and still plenty of growing season left in SoCal. I've seen plenty of trees in the wild come back from worse than these.
Even if they don't make it, we're getting updates on the necropsy to learn from.
Takes a while for junipers to really show how they respond. If anything OP has learned about collecting as much root and soil next collecting trip

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Takes a while for junipers to really show how they respond. If anything OP has learned about collecting as much root and soil next collecting trip
Yup.
But don't jump the gun. When they're all brown, then they're dead. Until then, there's still a shot.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
By the way, congrats on your successful collections. I noticed you're located nearby in Chino Hills (zone 10a, jesus...) Could you share your aftercare regiment? I'm interested to hear how you recover your trees.
Yeah, all I do once I see the tree growing, is get it into more sun, stop misting it and water when needed. The tent and misting are all early-stage recovery methods to get the tree to grow and gain strength, but once it is growing, it needs to get into the sun more to keep regaining strength and push more growth. After a year or two, depending on the strength of the tree, I will repot the trees into a more manageable container. If your trees are growing, which it looks like they are? Then get them out of the misting tent and into the sun. Good luck!

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

@walee I'm concerned that the white stuff you mentioned could be powdery mildew. Not sure about your region, but here it can be serious issue. I'd treat with neem oil preventatively every week or two just in case.
Thank you for the positive energy 🙏 I think you're right about the powdery mildew especially with the constant high heat/humidity. I'll look into neem oil treatments, and probably introduce more airflow into the humidity tent to prevent it spreading.

Yeah, all I do once I see the tree growing, is get it into more sun, stop misting it and water when needed. The tent and misting are all early-stage recovery methods to get the tree to grow and gain strength, but once it is growing, it needs to get into the sun more to keep regaining strength and push more growth. After a year or two, depending on the strength of the tree, I will repot the trees into a more manageable container. If your trees are growing, which it looks like they are? Then get them out of the misting tent and into the sun. Good luck!
Thank you for the solid advice! Over the next month, I'll start transitioning them out of the humidity tent into the open air. Perfect timing too, my make shift humidity tent has started tearing from the UV damage.

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Another month, another update. I think I introduced the tree into the dry Los Angeles air a little too suddenly, because the tree looks like it's dried a bit. I'm going to continue to stay hopeful though and say my nightly prayers.

IMG_6262.jpgIMG_6269.JPG IMG_6268.JPG

IMG_6264.jpg IMG_6266.jpg IMG_6267.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6269.JPG
    IMG_6269.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 27

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A couple thoughts.

Take off the brown foliage. It can only hurt the tree by transmitting disease by keeping it on.

It seems like there is ar least some new growth from your photos.

You might try 3% H2O2. 2 TBPS/QT spray periodically.in addition to keeping the course you’ve set out.

Good Luck,

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom