Collected junipers, but I have a question

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, a fellow BonsaiNut and I collected eight rather large, neglected junipers today; they were COVERED in Spanish Moss and weeds. By the time we got them out and cleaned, it became quite apparent that they may not live because the root balls were either small or struggling. We immediately put them in some top soil/manure and watered/misted them. I have them in shade and won’t even think about doing anything to them for a long time. I left all of the foliage because I figure with little roots, these trees will need all the moisture help they can get.

Now to my question: These trees have large trunks and long branches. It’s the first time I’ve gotten this type of material. What can I do to these branches to bring in the overall silhouette? There’s foliage at the ends, but if I trim them a year from now, will I get back budding and eventually be able to reign in these trees? They will be my first large bonsai, aside from my Yaupon and Bald Cypress, but I still think they need to be tighter.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Next time you collect trees, the soil mix you used was probably too ''hot'', manure, and composted manure, can have a lot of nutrients, which is not what you need right away with freshly collected material. However, I would be reluctant to move the trees a second time to a different mix.

Next time you collect, one of the best media to use to get a tree to create a new root system is pumice. Many use 100% pumice for conifers, and for deciduous they use a mix that is at least half pumice. Pumice breaths well, has enough weight to help keep the tree stable, pumice holds water well without compromising air penetration.

Mist your juniper's foliage several times a day until you see evidence of roots developing. Junipers can absorb water through their foliage, important when roots are compromised. Usually foliage will be less limp (a very subtle change for junipers) and foliage will change to a better color of green when new roots start to develop. Then you can give them more sun and less frequent foliage misting.

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Next time you collect trees, the soil mix you used was probably too ''hot'', manure, and composted manure, can have a lot of nutrients, which is not what you need right away with freshly collected material. However, I would be reluctant to move the trees a second time to a different mix.

Next time you collect, one of the best media to use to get a tree to create a new root system is pumice. Many use 100% pumice for conifers, and for deciduous they use a mix that is at least half pumice. Pumice breaths well, has enough weight to help keep the tree stable, pumice holds water well without compromising air penetration.

Mist your juniper's foliage several times a day until you see evidence of roots developing. Junipers can absorb water through their foliage, important when roots are compromised. Usually foliage will be less limp (a very subtle change for junipers) and foliage will change to a better color of green when new roots start to develop. Then you can give them more sun and less frequent foliage misting.

Thanks so much! It may be just top soil. It figures, I have pumice too. Dammit.

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The one thing I will say is I collected junipers at the beginning of the month with JoeH and those are DOJ g great in the same soil, so fingers crossed.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just make sure you don't reduce foliage mass too much. Think of it like a cutting - you want a lot of foliage, but you can't let it dry out. If a juniper has almost no roots it doesn't need them as much if the humidity is high and the foliage is not transpiring. Keep your junipers in a greenhouse or humidity tent.

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just make sure you don't reduce foliage mass too much. Think of it like a cutting - you want a lot of foliage, but you can't let it dry out. If a juniper has almost no roots it doesn't need them as much if the humidity is high and the foliage is not transpiring. Keep your junipers in a greenhouse or humidity tent.

I removed no foliage. The greenhouse or humidity tent isn’t an option so I’ll be sure to mist frequently and I live in Florida so humidity is always an option.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Hmmm. Those look in better health than I imagined from the earlier in the thread. I think if the roots recover, that you will get som back budding over time. Probably from the crotches where branching occurs. Grafting is an option I guess, but I've not had great success w it. I don't have the grafting gift. Others do and get some great results.

Top Bottom