collected junipers, cut off browning needles or leave them to turn green

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
ive got a collected juniper that ive been misting 3 times a day, its greening up I'm most areas, but a few are getting brown. do I cut those off or keep misting them. will they green back up?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
They probably will not brown up, but without seeing them it's hard to say and I would hate to tell you to cut off bronzed growth.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Post a photo to get better direction, but in general, I do not cut back anything on a collected juniper. I let the tree keep or shed on its own for the first couple years. However, dead, brown foliage will never turn green again. If you’re lucky, it will begin to produce new foliage.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also would leave it. As Brian said, let it shed naturally. And there is also the possibility it will push new growth from the browning branches. I’ve seen it happen a few times on a few collected one seed junipers.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I wrote: "They probably will not brown up, but without seeing them it's hard to say and I would hate to tell you to cut off bronzed growth." I don't know how but I meant to write they probably will not green up. Once they are brown and crunchy they're done and will not come back. Whether the underlying wood will produce new growth is an unknown, but usually if there is no green to fuel growth it is not likely it will develop. Sometimes the winter burn/bronze growth can scare the crap out of you if you are not aware of it's nature.

Top Bottom