Collected Lantana XXXL

Grego83

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Lantana are used often in landscapes here in Southern California, and I am surprised I haven't seen more collected Lantana as bonsai. I collected this one in January from the backyard of my parent's house, as it had outgrown it's spot next to a walkway. None of us can remember exactly, but we think it was planted about 20 years ago. It has a hole through the trunk and is partially hollow with some deadwood. it has one large branch in particular which reminds me of Popeye's arm it's so bulky. I thought it's got some character.

Jan 0.JPG

This is what it looked like upon collection in January. Some close ups of the bark. It was planted in leftover bonsai mix which I immediately regretted, in my haste I forgot my plan to use 100% pumice. I drilled holes into a giant Costco storage bin since it wouldn't fit in even my largest pot. It is not wired in, and it's super heavy so I planned to just leave it in one spot until it recovered.

Jan a.JPG
Jan b.JPG

In March it got some new growth, but this new growth died off. This made me nervous, so I moved it to a shadier spot. I was upset with myself for letting it get too much sun, and also kept thinking I should have waited until the weather warmed up a bit more to collect it.

March b.JPG

Around mid-June is when I finally took a sigh of relief as I saw some strong new growth.

June b.JPG

June a.JPG

In July, more growth. Getting some more sun now but afternoon shade.

July a.JPG

Here we are in August - photo is from the "backside" - lots of blooms going on. Big extensions. It gets lots of sun all day now in my new home. It wilts a bit in the afternoon sun when it's really hot, but is growing well. I have not done any work and likely don't plan to this year. I am tempted to cut back some of the longer branches, but I think I will wait and just feed and let it gain strength for now.

August.JPG

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Privet used to be taboo, now it is 'in'. So shall lantana go!

You mention dead areas and a Popeye arm and immediately the idea of ultimately hollowing it out and carving it popped to mind. But its a flowering evergreen - would it ever be seen?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
That's pretty amazing, I love Lantana, I get to see blooms all winter.

Top Bottom