Collected Larch: Beanpole or… raft?

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Collected this American larch in fall 2020 from a bog up north.

It’s ‘out of the woods’ safely now I believe, and showing a beautiful 2nd flush of growth.

All except for 1-2 shoots are located on one side of the tree, which intrigues me.

I would love opinions on style:
1) obviously bean pole to an extent, but I quite like the slim trunk, which does have some taper - and there is a gradual movement back and forth. I would reduce by about 20% for a final height and there are one or two branches I could wire to the right side - or, go for a difficult windswept style, which mirrors how this tree was growing in the wild

OR

2) a viewer on my YouTube channel said this tree was “crying out to become a raft.” I do see the potential - however, difficult process and not one I have tackled yet. based on what I have seen from rafts, most have a solid based tied to the ground at the “beginning” of the raft. Because of the absence of any low shoots, I feel I would need to root graft further up the trunk to avoid a large space with no shoots, in order to create the “anchoring” main root base. I suppose I could graft additional branches (trunks) on as well to fill that space.

The other piece that’s bothering me is a lack of knowledge on grafting on new roots higher up (further down) - would I risk cutting at the newly grafted on roots, to then lose the entire tree due to lack of support cutting off the original root ball? Seems it could be hard to judge when to do this. And I have grafted roots on other trees, but not larch… yet.

seems like a crazy idea, but I’ve been obsessing over it for weeks. Any thoughts are appreciated as always

the trunk really does have some nice undulation to it when laid down… just tilt your phone sideways perhaps? No sideways pic for now.

Collected 2020 fall
60233101-CF9F-45C5-A794-61F4BBE67E52.jpeg

today
2B2A682D-1C31-499D-8DED-40D2E2DB6310.jpegBF43447B-EDE7-442D-A6C9-88C4E3540811.jpeg59045276-5DB4-4FC1-A55F-29157FB6876D.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The (upper) portion that lends itself to a raft is pretty long, and pretty far away from roots. You might consider a funny looking air or ground layer on that upper part, and come out with a raft and a shorter leftover.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The (upper) portion that lends itself to a raft is pretty long, and pretty far away from roots. You might consider a funny looking air or ground layer on that upper part, and come out with a raft and a shorter leftover.
Thanks @Forsoothe! - so to clarify, you consider using the entire foliage-filled portion of the trunk too long to attempt a raft?
I just measured an inch below the 1st branch (where I originally thought I’d start the raft rooting) and it would be 21 inches long(wide) from left to right in a future planting. Too big?

I do think your approach is more sensible, I could have a 12 or so inch wide raft and still a decent sized upright tree.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think you could lay the whole thing on its side at ~75° or so and bank it with mounds of dirt to hold it in the right position now and leave it until next spring and chop it when it is leafed out...
L01.JPG

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I need the time to get some root grafts prepared, so probably will wait until spring to lay it on its side/repot at the earliest… thanks for the virt!!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm thinking you ground layer by laying it on its side in a media now for roots.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm thinking you ground layer by laying it on its side in a media now for roots.
Haven’t tried this with larch - tough to succeed? I have heard larch is difficult to layer… I might want to give this until next spring as it was only collected last fall…

Top Bottom