Collected Large Boxwood & Seeking Advice

Replikant

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just collected this boxwood this week. Scale is rough to see in the photo but its about 3 feet high. 2 hours of sweat and now the nursing and care. Looking for any comments on reducing and possible development for the future. It was a massively overgrown shrub and had no idea at the great trunk, nebari and branch structure that already existed. Obviously some years of development ahead. Any advice appreciated and thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 169

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see it half as tall. Hopefully the recent cutback will produce back budding so you can cut it down a bit. The leafs might already be there, just can't tell by the pics.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
cut as shown, then take a pic against plain background for follow-up.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 218

Replikant

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
reducing

Yeah I was fearful of reducing it anymore until it becomes established. Was thinking next spring attempting major cutback for eventual reshaping.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is fine but the problem is that most of the new growth will be on the branches you will eventually remove. I also believe that keeping more is worse than having less. May sound counter-intuitive but your root system was reduced drastically and the tree will benefit from that further reduction to reach a better "balance".

Good luck! :)

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I agree. This can be cut back hard. If you leave some growth below the cut on each branch, you can expect vigorous growth in those places. If you leave the tips, you will get more growth at the tips than you will down low where you want it.

Replikant

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
another quick question ... how soon after collecting can I use Lime Sulfur application on those deadwood spots and wounds? Termites were in that spot when collected and wanted to protect those exposed areas. The wound you see in the photo had a large dead branch coming out from it that just dropped off when pressure was applied.

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
I would see no problem with applying lime sulphur or a wood hardener... It will likely be temporary because you might refine it/carve later and then reapply it then...

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would only use wood hardener and not lime sulfur. The white will not look good on a deciduous tree. Or add black ink to the lime sulfur. I have done that with good results.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Totally agree, I'm not a fan of how LS looks on boxwood. It's not a preserver either. Let it darken naturally and it will look really nice behind the rough light bark.

Nice tree, BTW. I suspect your final bonsai is 50% of this current height.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Neither lime sulfur nor wood hardener will have any effect on termites. I've not heard of termites in boxwood, so unless they're in the tree already, it is highly unlikely that they will get in now that it is potted.

Replikant

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Follow up question

I am getting some back budding down low. Even though it's only been newly collected for a few weeks now is it safe to say that I can reduce some of those outer high branches?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'd wait. You don't want any of the new roots getting moved around and broken off. Just be sure the new, lower growth is getting plenty of light.

Replikant

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Boxwood Collection Timing question

So there is another large old Boxwood I would like to collect but not sure if its too late. Its in the low 80s here in Southern Louisiana. Any advice on whether I should wait until next spring or whether the Boxwood fairs a chance this late?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree with Brian you have already disturbed the roots once this year if it is pushing buds then you have some small fragile feeder roots starting to grow. Cutting it now can rip these roots off further weakening the tree. With material like this you need to take your time and slow down .If you get to hasty it will possibly kill the tree. Let it rest this year and recover then next year do your cuts.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So there is another large old Boxwood I would like to collect but not sure if its too late. Its in the low 80s here in Southern Louisiana. Any advice on whether I should wait until next spring or whether the Boxwood fairs a chance this late?

Collect away...as long as you do it right. I've collected some on May even August and they are thriving. :)

Top Bottom