Collected literati Scotch pine.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dug this tree out of my old yard yesterday. I didn't really like literati trees before. Now? Ask me in a year. Vance had one when I went down there and it was a cool little tree. When he says he can get the needles to reduce down to half an inch or less on these he isn't lieing.
I think literati have to be seen in person to really appreciate them. Before that I didn't like them at all. Now though looking at hundreds of trunks out in the wild I've come to realize just how rare a good literati tree is.
This tree grew like this with no help from me. In fact it was on my old property and I never paid any attention to it. I don't remember seeing it before. I lived there for twenty years. Talk about oblivious.

Attachments

• 2015-04-19 15.18.13.jpg
    2015-04-19 15.18.13.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 2015-04-19 15.17.50.jpg
    2015-04-19 15.17.50.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 157
  • 2015-04-19 15.17.27.jpg
    2015-04-19 15.17.27.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 154

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's definitely a literati in that tree. That long thin branch at the top could have a lot of movement put in it. You even potted it a good angle.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The angle is just how it was growing. I used to run it over with my truck without even knowing it was there. Since a sapling I imagine. It was just out back of the house.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
We will have to start and take this guy seriously.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
We will have to start and take this guy seriously.

Did you know mike doesn't actually use tools, he just karate chops em and grapples trees into submission, no wire needed. His trees are beautiful; they don't photograph well cause they're shaking with fear.

Seriously thou mike, I read you work for a tree service? Do you dig a lot of pines? Any spruce or oak?
Thanks

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I work for one of those that trim along powerlines. The orange trucks with the funny name. Asplundh.
But I collect all kinds of trees suitable for bonsai that grow around here. I used to work in a nursery and dug up 100 of spruce and pine each spring.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you ever dig any up after elongation of the spring buds?
Yes. All new candles died off. The tree lived but it took a while to recuperate. It was a white spruce.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I take eveeryone seriously unless I perceive I am being handed a bag of bovine scatology. However; in that case I take them seriously enough to mercilessly harangue that individual until they manage to expose themselves. I don't know why I care but people that come along boasting great things are usually goaded into providing proof. In Mikes case I know he is straight up and honest about what he says.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I take eveeryone seriously unless I perceive I am being handed a bag of bovine scatology. However; in that case I take them seriously enough to mercilessly harangue that individual until they manage to expose themselves. I don't know why I care but people that come along boasting great things are usually goaded into providing proof.
I'm the same way; and apparently I can't keep my mouth shut.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Barely made it!
Alost all of the needles fell off. Had a couple collected Scots pines do this. Others just took off. This one is just barely hanging in there. Winter will be the test.2015-08-01 15.30.24.jpg 2015-08-01 16.23.38.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Interesting, they do not like their roots messed with according to the books.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It looks like the new growth is hanging in there and it may come back, they're fussy but tuff.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kind of hope so. Don't have any literati or bunjin or whatever the kids are calling them nowadays.

Top Bottom