Collected Live Oak

Ccome15

Sapling
Reaction score
I collected this live oak from in the woods behind my home back in March and chopped to a small stump (8”-10”). Thought it wasn’t going to make it, then two weeks ago buds started appearing, and now I have shoots from the trunk and apparently the roots under the tree (shoots coming up next to the tree). Any suggestions on when to trim shoots back or wire them, if I should keep shoots from coming up around the tree, etc? F68541A7-B013-428E-8709-2C782572B258.jpegD0BA2803-BD1C-4784-A310-63974B71C873.jpeg

ponderingsage

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Personally, l would.cut the suckers now and leave the shoots on the trunk alone, and let the tree recover. Later on you can wire those to add some movement.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suggest you do nothing this year but let it grow. The tree needs to replace all the roots it lost in collection before it will be strong enough for additional work.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As both above ideas seem good personally believe suckers will help develop more roots whereas removing suckers will send strength of roots to trunk and growth there where is most likely wanted. Replanting should not be done till next year so roots can better develop. Perhaps wait another year for even better recovery;). Shoots to be kept should wire AS hardening off. After soft and green but before fully woody/lignified.

Ccome15

Sapling
Reaction score
As both above ideas seem good personally believe suckers will help develop more roots whereas removing suckers will send strength of roots to trunk and growth there where is most likely wanted. Replanting should not be done till next year so roots can better develop. Perhaps wait another year for even better recovery;). Shoots to be kept should wire AS hardening off. After soft and green but before fully woody/lignified.
Thanks for clarifying. I was going to ask both above the benefits of leaving or removing the suckers. Since I just collected in March, I had planned on keeping in this pot for two years before repotting. Was going to let it grow this year, maybe carve some early next depending on how much it grows by then. I appreciate info, and will start wiring the shoots as they start hardening.

Top Bottom