Collected mulberry

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I dug a mulberry that I had let grow in my yard for a couple of years.
DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0005.JPGDSC_0007.JPG
Now seems to be on it's way to recovery.
DSC_0430.JPGDSC_0432.JPG
Question: In several places it is putting out multiple sprouts from the same location. How long should I let them grow before I reduce to just one branch a each location. My inclination to to let everything grow and gain strength until next year.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice slingshot!

I have one that's been growing in my yard for a couple years too. I'm gonna chop it this summer and dig it up next late winter.

I would let it be with the multiple shoots this year....at least until you're convinced that it has recovered and it has established some roots.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am always pulling off duplicates (Those really emerging from the same spot) as they come up. Also when just translpanted, unless the plant seems weak. This does not look like a weak plant. Most of the time you do not pull of the second spout.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Let them go maybe 5 minutes. You don't need to grow stuff just to take it off, you want all the energy possible to be wood you keep a long time. Choose a bud that is growing in the right direction and then keep pruning branches to keep the tree compact because they do grow fast and get out of bounds quickly. Don't let internodes longer than what you consider good get away from you. Pick a length and pinch/clip any that go, or will go beyond that size. The leaves reduce nicely but you have to get a lot of leaves in order to sub-divide the amount of energy by enough units to reduce the size of the leaves.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would probably reduce multiple buds from a single location to a single branch sometime in the autumn. At least this year. In future years, I would probably go through and thin the branches at the same time you do your summer cut backs. Here in the Chicago-Milwaukee area, I'd cut back once in early July, and again in September-October. Thin multiple branches from a single point at those times.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That is a trunk chop! What is the pot it is in? It’s so nice that it is sprouting.

Top Bottom