Collected native hard maple

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
image.jpeg image.jpeg This maple caught my eye as it seems to have decent caliper, movement, taper, and actually a decent nabari. 98% sure it's a sugar maple. Crammed all the roots in this terracotta, got a ton of fibrous roots, we shall see. I didn't know what to do with the long branch on the bottom but eventually decided to cut it back an inch out, not exactly sure how I came to that decision but it has 2 well placed lower branches and the chop is Leaning away from the potential front so there is a big area where any buds would be useable if they come. There are a number of buds on the base of the roots. I think if it shoots ip high there will be a good chance to make this into something

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    379.7 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 85

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just dug up what I thought was a buckeye but now believe it's a sugar maple. How wide is yours it looks pretty big like the one I dug.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
View attachment 101319 View attachment 101322 This maple caught my eye as it seems to have decent caliper, movement, taper, and actually a decent nabari. 98% sure it's a sugar maple. Crammed all the roots in this terracotta, got a ton of fibrous roots, we shall see. I didn't know what to do with the long branch on the bottom but eventually decided to cut it back an inch out, not exactly sure how I came to that decision but it has 2 well placed lower branches and the chop is Leaning away from the potential front so there is a big area where any buds would be useable if they come. There are a number of buds on the base of the roots. I think if it shoots ip high there will be a good chance to make this into something
Pretty cool, I've been seeing a few sugars at work that look worthy of trying alongside my rubrum. Lol

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
I just dug up what I thought was a buckeye but now believe it's a sugar maple. How wide is yours it looks pretty big like the one I dug.

View attachment 101432 View attachment 101433
Were the buds huge? If so, you may have a buckeye... If you can't remember what the buds were like, sugar maple bark is pretty hard/rough. Buckeye bark tends to be rubbery...

Both are trees that host the invasive beetles I survey for at work, which means I just spent all winter playing at tree ID. Lol

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Were the buds huge? If so, you may have a buckeye... If you can't remember what the buds were like, sugar maple bark is pretty hard/rough. Buckeye bark tends to be rubbery...

Both are trees that host the invasive beetles I survey for at work, which means I just spent all winter playing at tree ID. Lol
No buds when I dug it but all the same type trees around it have leaves now and there maples. So at this point I know it's a maple just not sure yet what kind. I think the leaves are still growing on the trees so I'm waiting to see what size they end up then try to figure out what kind.

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
No buds when I dug it but all the same type trees around it have leaves now and there maples. So at this point I know it's a maple just not sure yet what kind. I think the leaves are still growing on the trees so I'm waiting to see what size they end up then try to figure out what kind.
It would have had dormant buds. Take a picture of the leaf and send it to me in a pm or something. Everything is leafing out right now, and tree ID is an essential part of my job. Lol

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
thanks this one is budded out, I actually have 2 of these are decent looking bonsai in my opinion, ill update soon.

Top Bottom