Reaction score
Gives a new meaning to hernia maker!
Irene

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Or, for $500, you can just dig one out of someone's front yard.

This is ridiculous. Better-looking olives than that grow all over my neighborhood. I've got one in my front lawn. And no, they aren't 100 years old - perhaps 35.

This isn't bonsai - it's a crappy landscape plant. If you are going to bonsai an olive stump from a landscape plant, at least buy one from a landscaper. They cost about 10% as much and look better.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you really want an eye opener, click around their website:

http://oliveadreamtrees.com/index.php

Like it or not, there is (possibly was--in this economy) a market for old and ancient landscape plants--for "instant landscaping" to go with new McMansions and/or new retail/golf/recreation development. There is a similar market here in the East for old Japanese maples, boxwood and other "estate" species--specimens that are over 100 years old--dug from torn down houses/etc. bring premium prices--sometimes in the tens of thousands...a

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You are right on the market thing rockm, I know someone who gets a regular visit from a guy that has offered him 10 grand for his J Maple in his front yard. Some of those mcMansion owners are people spending money just to spend it. I have seen some of the television shows that do these "make overs" and can't believe the money spent sometimes.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dang! Let me save you $2K and you can dig the olive out of my front lawn. $10,000 would be a bargain based on these prices. I'll even throw in some eucalyptus if you are willing to dig em out.

Last time I got rid of some trees I seem to recall spending thousands to have them removed, not the other way around LOL. Those styled trees on the web site look horrid, in my opinion. I have no idea what they're supposed to look like. Maybe something off Mars?

Top Bottom