Collected One-Seed Coffin Tree

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
One big challenge remains to be seen. I haven’t got under the soil yet, but I’m guessing from the way the box is built that is has a couple of really long roots. These will need to be reduced carefully. Hopefully in the eight years since collection, they’ve put out strong roots close to the trunk that I can cut back to. This will be a bit of a delicate operation on an old tree.

Good news is that I’ll be able to keep the box to get buried in one day. Looks like it’s just about big enough.

S

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This makes me happy. One seed covers the landscape here in NM and I’ve got a few In cultivation. It’s such an untapped variety of Juniper. Can’t wait to see the magic you make happen with it!

Who collected this one? And from NM or another southwestern state? Just curious!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Juniperus monosperma is native to Arizona, New Mexico, southern Colorado, western Oklahoma, and western Texas. In Mexico it grows in the extreme north of Chihuahua. I believe this tree was collected somewhere in New Mexico.

68209DC8-09FD-478F-A512-4711F9BD6EAF.jpeg

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This makes me happy. One seed covers the landscape here in NM and I’ve got a few In cultivation. It’s such an untapped variety of Juniper. Can’t wait to see the magic you make happen with it!

Who collected this one? And from NM or another southwestern state? Just curious!

I believe it was from New Mexico. It’s been up in Dallas since collection. Not sure who the original collector was.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This tree will put out some roots. Roots of the one seed juniper have been found 61m below the surface, making it the plant with the second deepest roots.

It is very rare or possibly even extinct in Mexico, with only a single herbarium collection from 1880 verified. More recent searches have failed to find the species there, so it may be entirely gone from its native range in the Chihuahua.

Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree will put out some roots. Roots of the one seed juniper have been found 61m below the surface, making it the plant with the second deepest roots.

It is very rare or possibly even extinct in Mexico, with only a single herbarium collection from 1880 verified. More recent searches have failed to find the species there, so it may be entirely gone from its native range in the Chihuahua.
It was found that even 3 yr old one seed would put out roots of up to 30 ft, especially when Conditions were dry. They slow their foliage growth considerably during drought put extensive root growth during that same time. It’s really what can them tricky to collect.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It was found that even 3 yr old one seed would put out roots of up to 30 ft, especially when Conditions were dry. They slow their foliage growth considerably during drought put extensive root growth during that same time. It’s really what can them tricky to collect.

Fascinating adaptation. I feel lucky to have it and even luckier not to have had to dig it. Lol. They must have got this one with a backhoe.

S

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One big challenge remains to be seen. I haven’t got under the soil yet, but I’m guessing from the way the box is built that is has a couple of really long roots. These will need to be reduced carefully. Hopefully in the eight years since collection, they’ve put out strong roots close to the trunk that I can cut back to. This will be a bit of a delicate operation on an old tree.

Good news is that I’ll be able to keep the box to get buried in one day. Looks like it’s just about big enough.

S
That must be a LLLOOONNG box!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I believe it was from New Mexico. It’s been up in Dallas since collection. Not sure who the original collector was.

Original collector was Larry Leone in Dallas. It was collected about 8years ago and has been living in the coffin ever since. Turns out he brings with him a fair amount of heavy equipment on his collecting trips. He has quite a few trees in the 6-10’ tall range. Pretty impressive.

S

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Original collector was Larry Leone in Dallas. It was collected about 8years ago and has been living in the coffin ever since. Turns out he brings with him a fair amount of heavy equipment on his collecting trips. He has quite a few trees in the 6-10’ tall range. Pretty impressive.

S
I knew I recognized that kind of box. Larry's place is a gold mine. The large junipers he has, which I'm assuming are some of the 6'-10' tall trees you're talking about, are very impressive.
Did you get your large replacement cedar elm clump from him too?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I knew I recognized that kind of box. Larry's place is a gold mine. The large junipers he has, which I'm assuming are some of the 6'-10' tall trees you're talking about, are very impressive.
Did you get your large replacement cedar elm clump from him too?

yes I did. I bought two cedar elm clumps from him actually. I know he has to move, but he’s got a lot of selling to do to get that collection to a manageable size.

S

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
yes I did. I bought two cedar elm clumps from him actually. I know he has to move, but he’s got a lot of selling to do to get that collection to a manageable size.

S
Nice, I thought so. Do you happen to have a thread on the second one or not yet?
You're right, he's got a looong way to go to be able to move and some of the trees he has seem like they'll take up a whole truck. I'm wondering how he's going to do it :rolleyes:

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Driving through a small town in CO called Blanca, mountain side was littered with these things! I would love to go collect one but no idea who to talk to.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice, I thought so. Do you happen to have a thread on the second one or not yet?
You're right, he's got a looong way to go to be able to move and some of the trees he has seem like they'll take up a whole truck. I'm wondering how he's going to do it :rolleyes:

not yet. I will post one at some point.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Repotting day. Need to get this tree into a smaller coffin. Expecting to find some big roots the box was built to accommodate. 67979C24-23B8-49F7-9006-C07632B36A64.jpeg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Removing soil in the left side exposed a pretty huge root. 2B8A0FAB-24E4-4C5E-AF17-E1FCA82EC89E.jpeg

I found a place where the root branched closed to the trunk and cut back to that point. That shortened the root by about a foot or so. It’s going to need to come back a lot further.
861E39C3-9B48-499D-A20B-27E556C00D66.jpeg

Top Bottom