Collected Pennsylvania Ash- Advice Welcome

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Collected and potted a small ash, 22 years old via tree ring counting. I rushed to get it in a pot, so I need to clean up the cuts tomorrow, but I like what it’s presenting thus far. I’ve never tried an ash, so if anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it (besides toss it). Thanks!

AD20D25B-D2A2-4C7C-A284-3F346BDC6FA1.jpeg
69A9C530-08F1-4458-BE8F-F6BE4E4AA18C.jpeg
11250F58-BA97-4E80-8D49-E6820A0014A4.jpeg

Reaction score
Aight nice! I can't make your soil out very well but it seems that you've got a fair percentage of organics in there? No worries, ash will grow in about anything!
If it were mine I'd leave it for now, watch the watering etc and be careful not to disturb/rock the roots. Ash can take severe root work well (even after leafing out) so you should be allright, but don't overdo it. Where are you located? I find ash (and more) doesn't like to sit around in cold and soggy conditions with freshly cut roots, hence I like to postpone collecting and repotting until it almost leafs out. If it were mine I'd dress up that big wound at the bottom a bit, apply cut paste and then leave it.
It's nice, I really like it, and it would be shitty losing it. Best of luck, fingers crossed!

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the comment! I’m in southeastern PA, and had to grab this tree before it would have been ripped out by a bulldozer today. There’s been quite a few I’ve collected in the last week or so under similar circumstances that I’ll post up- I agree, certainly not my ideal time to move, but with the guarantee it and others would die, I felt like I had no choice. The soil mix is perlite, lava rock, fine pine bark and a mix of some spagnum moss and basic pitting soil- again, not my preferred but from what I’ve seen, ash trees are pretty tough. I’m also going to keep an eye on it for EAB- I may treat with a systemic this spring just in case, although I don’t think EAB will hot something this small. From what I’ve seen, they prefer larger diameter ash trees.

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment! I’m in southeastern PA, and had to grab this tree before it would have been ripped out by a bulldozer today. There’s been quite a few I’ve collected in the last week or so under similar circumstances that I’ll post up- I agree, certainly not my ideal time to move, but with the guarantee it and others would die, I felt like I had no choice. The soil mix is perlite, lava rock, fine pine bark and a mix of some spagnum moss and basic pitting soil- again, not my preferred but from what I’ve seen, ash trees are pretty tough. I’m also going to keep an eye on it for EAB- I may treat with a systemic this spring just in case, although I don’t think EAB will hot something this small. From what I’ve seen, they prefer larger diameter ash trees.

Ah yeah sometimes we gotta work with what we got! Sounds like your tree will be fine! Good idea on the systemic, better safe than sorry with those nasty bugs. Fingers crossed!

Top Bottom