Collected Pines 2019

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm posting up some of the trees I collected late summer 2019. They're from a plantation that was (I think) originally planted with Scots Pine, Lodgepole and Corsican (Pinus Nigra) Pine.

I overwintered the trees first under a canopy, and latterly in a greenhouse. My main aim was to keep them from getting too cold and wet before they had a chance to grow new roots. I think this strategy worked well, there's only one tree that is not looking too happy.

I thought I'd share to see what folks that about my plans for the trees, and any advice on stimulating back budding before I lose the older, lower needles. Some trees are already back budding, others I'd like to encourage. I'll upload in groups of three or four.

Tree 1:

DSC00586.jpeg

Scots Pine I think, though slightly long needles. I see this tree being down at the second and third branches. Whats my best bet to encourage it to back bud on those lower branches?

Tree 2:

DSC00587.jpeg

DSC00588.jpeg

Corsican Pine. Candling well I think, the Corsicans seem to be vigorous even though recently collected. There are small needle/bud clusters on the lowest branch stub and on the wired branch. I think the Corsicans need to be bigger bonsai because of the needle length, so maybe keep the third and fourth branches, and consider the top the sacrifice?

Tree 3:

DSC00589.jpeg

DSC00590.jpeg

Corsican Pine. Lots of options, consequently I've got no idea what I'm doing with it! You might be able to see the buds emerging on the branch in the second pic. I cut off the end of this branch when I collected it, so it makes me think the Corsicans respond well to quite severe pruning? Again it needs to be a fairly big bonsai, I'm thinking 36 inches or so.

More to follow! All helpful advice appreciated ;)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
All pines will bud from the base of healthy needles when they are pruned. Now that these are growing well after transplant you should consider more reduction pruning to take advantage of the needles while they are still there. Pine needles only live for a couple of years. When they get old and fall you may have a hard time getting low buds again.
Wire in pine 2 looks like it is starting to constrict the trunk?

Now that you have had some success you should consider looking for some trunks with a little age, thickness and character.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think that back budding will happen on its own as soon as these pines are at full health.
I'm seeing small-ish needles on the scots pine and single candles on the others. The small needles indicate that it was alive but not thriving. The single candles could mean that you've cut the buds or candles, but it could also mean that they're not at full capacity yet. When my scots pines are healthy, they produce 3-6 buds on the end of every branch, with the exception of a few shaded ones and looooong needles. I know nigra should behave similar.
Both these species can bud on older wood, 2, up until 4 year old wood with relative ease. Especially nigra.

I would get them growing strong this year, with heavy feeding and re-assess in summer to see what options you have: a shoot cut as per scots pine protocol (depends on who you ask if you do it in mid-summer or in the fall), or letting them grow for another year.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. I wasn't sure about when to do more reduction pruning, I think this confirms the best plan is to wait until late summer / early fall and see how strong they are.

These smaller trees have interesting bends low down and most have buds or branches low enough to work with. Some have also begun to show good bark characteristics. Many were collected from very hard, compacted rocky and water logged ground (I can't call it soil) in an exposed location.

Here are some more.

Tree 4:

DSC00593.jpeg

Small Nigra with plenty of low needles & buds.

Tree 5:

DSC00594.jpeg

I really like the natural taper on this (Scots?). I don't know why there's such thickening at the base and the first branch. It's also one I'd really like to get back budding.

Tree 6:

DSC00595.jpeg

Tree 7:

DSC00596.jpeg

DSC00597.jpeg
Will probably benefit from a graft at the first bend, there's a small bud at the second branch that shows promise. Bark is already interesting.

Tree 8:

DSC00617.jpeg

DSC00618.jpeg

Lodgepole? I think it's location caused it to form very short needles, others in the area had more normal length. Many of these just 10mm. I appreciate this means the tree is not at full strengh, but great to see that potential!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice young trees, all still young enough that almost any style is still possible. #8 is most likely lodgepole pine. as far as I can tell.

If they were mine, I'd wire out low branches to near horizontal. This will allow them to get light and back bud. No need to prune anything until late summer, early autumn. In fact, just letting them get vigorous might be good, in which case no pruning until summer-autumn 2021.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
More to follow! All helpful advice appreciated ;)
For all of these the only thing I would consider is wiring for additional trunk movement while they are still small and supple! When desired keep up with root work to establish nice nebari. Approximately once every year or two for the next five years! Otherwise grow out and establish some trunk size. For Shohin style I like to work with 4 cm diameter trunk, for medium approximately 7.5 cm trunk and for larger designs 12-17 cm diameter trunk base!
Once you start cutting back, decandling, and shifting to smaller containers than the trunk development will be essentially stopped! Best to ensure that you have the trunk size desired first!

Top Bottom