collected plum

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey folks, in the midst of the flurry of repotting and other tree work, I thought I'd take a minute to post a few pics of our plum tree. Fairly certain that it's prunus salicina, a naturalised plum specie, Japanese I think. It forms thickets , root connected around a parent tree. My daughter and I collected this one around ten years ago. Thought it looked pretty good this year. It stands 28 inches tall, 20 wide, 3 1/2 inch trunk, and 10 1/2 root spread. Guessing that it's around 40 y.o.. I still have work to do on the upper deadwood, it seems a little bulky. Also, thinking of shortening the trunk, but can't decide where. What do you think?DSCN1564.JPG DSCN1565.JPG DSCN1568.JPG DSCN1571.JPG DSCN1573.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it like that SK. A lot.

Maybe do reduce the mass....
But the height is really making it interesting.

When that branch gets old....
It's gonna look dope as Hell!

The small flowers, the small flowers make the height believable.

More cussing!

Sorce

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey folks, in the midst of the flurry of repotting and other tree work, I thought I'd take a minute to post a few pics of our plum tree. Fairly certain that it's prunus salicina, a naturalised plum specie, Japanese I think. It forms thickets , root connected around a parent tree. My daughter and I collected this one around ten years ago. Thought it looked pretty good this year. It stands 28 inches tall, 20 wide, 3 1/2 inch trunk, and 10 1/2 root spread. Guessing that it's around 40 y.o.. I still have work to do on the upper deadwood, it seems a little bulky. Also, thinking of shortening the trunk, but can't decide where. What do you think?View attachment 97589 View attachment 97590 View attachment 97591 View attachment 97592 View attachment 97593
My gut feeling; what you have there is a story between life and death. I think that is a well placed branch and I don't see the benefit of whacking the dead to improve the live side. My suggestion, keep alive the story.

Last edited:

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice tree, good find. I like it the way it is but it also looks great in Brian's virt.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you all for your insights and Brian for the virt. When you look at the second pic, there is a glimpse of that without the break. I think that when you take the emphasis off of the taller deadwood it does visually increase the movement of the tree. I think that I'll let the branch/trunk have a season or two of growth while I begin to thin the upper trunk. Depending on it's development, I'll make final decision then. I do love the increase in dynamics without the upper trunk. At the same time, I do love the nice lines of the tall deadwood trunk. We'll see. Thanks again...............SK

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd bring it down quite a bit, but leave the Jin taller than the eventual finished height of the foliage.
View attachment 97594 View attachment 97595
I was not in favor of cutting the tree deadwood back....at first....but then your virtual image presented what it could be with a cutback. Nice....very nice! I’d probably be hesitant at the cutback myself...knowing it cannot grow back. Funny...I’d probably let the tree thrive and stare at it a lot to see exactly where I’d cutback....maybe after a couple seasons of staring....perhaps just a bit higher because I liked the visual sense of the tree's pronounced struggle against the elements. Masterful work on the virtual!

Top Bottom