Collected Ponderosa, first training

Reaction score
Hello,
First post for me, will welcome all guidance.
I collected a tree about 4 years ago. It took a good two years to stabilize and now is vigorous. I am contemplating a major trunk chop and normally would not be too tentative, but I owe this plant my very best efforts for success. I am getting ready to start working the tree. Key questions are:
  • Timing for chop. Is now (May 3) a good time for a significant Wait until candles have extended and needles hardened? Priorities are 1) don't risk the tree and 2 promote back budding.
  • Extent of chop. Tree is about 3 feet tall and I am thinking of taking the tree down to the lower red mark in the photos, probably leave a chunk of the trunk as dead wood/shari. Take it as a single cut? Work it down over a couple years?
  • Repotting. The tree moved to this pot a few years ago. I'm thinking chop this year, report next spring into a somewhat smaller pot. Is that too much too fast?
I suspect long time members have answered these questions (maybe more than once) but my relatively quick search didn't locate responses specific to Ponderosa. Thanks for thoughts and ideas.

Paul

Attachments

• Ponderosa Vigor.jpg
    Ponderosa Vigor.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Ponderosa Cuts.jpg
    Ponderosa Cuts.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 100

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1. Is trunk as big as wanted already?
2. Is part marked for removal absolutely of no stylistic future use?
3. Bear in mind longer needled tree should not be too small for sake of best proportions.
4. Also consider: Is part to remove of possible use as jin if sure of need to remove?

Personally if removing significant part or several smaller parts of tree will normally wait until growth hardened off and tree slows metabolism for all growth that might add to trunk and to lessen bleeding of active growth times(Spring-Summer)☺️.

Last edited:

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You could do the reduction this summer once the needles harden off.

However, I will throw my 2 cents in, which is that the name of the game with ponderosa yamadori isn’t really “major trunk chopping.” Sure, you could chop the hell out of it if you’d like. But you are probably going to end up with a better tree if you work with more of what the tree is giving you. I am not seeing the path to success with your proposed trunk chops, but hey it’s your tree. :)

Good luck and welcome!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I would wait to chop once needles are hardened off and sap flow slows down in late summer. I would chop above any straight section you don’t want. But if it were my tree I’d keep as much as possible and use that for future styling of tree. It’s a wild collected tree so an element of ruggedness and shaped by nature is preference

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I agree with not chopping. Ponderosa is really bendy and with guy wires you can do alot to move it where you would like.

Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments. The backstory on the tree is it was less than two feet tall when collected, the upright growth has occurred since it was potted. I was focused on letting the tree recover and probably should have worked on it sooner. That said, your comments have me considering if some of the newer, more upright growth can contribute to the ultimate design. Thanks much!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Musta been too many Modelos on the 5th!

Welcome to Crazy!

I'd want to eventually chop it to use that bud right between the 2 reds, the one with it's needles by the plastic container on the ground, as a new apex branch or continuation.

Better to chop after Repot so that growth can help it establish. "Prior care", with prior care after care is .....more Modelos!

For now though, I'd cut the left bit off to keep the low stuff knowing it's wanted and keep it unshaded.

Then hit the shade yourself, with.....yeah...more Modelos!

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhaaiiiaaa!

Sorce

Top Bottom