Collected Ponderosa Pine #1

NHATIVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi All,

I'm starting a thread on this Ponderosa Pine I collected this past spring in the Cascade Range. It was growing perfectly in a small rock pocket and only one small tap root about the size of a pencil needed to be cut for removal. It went into pure pumice upon getting home, and wood blocks were placed in the anderson flat to keep the root mass constricted. Over the growing season, it didn't skip a beat with a full flush of new growth.

It's not a particularly "gnarly" individual, but I love the aged bark and dead branches up the trunk. Long-term I think this will make a nice bunjin/literati composition. For now, it's going to live as-is through at least one more growing season.

DSC00964.JPG DSC00957.JPG

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good to leave grow a year. Pumice perfect/wise. Cultivate life of low branch. Not bad trunk/bark for beginnings😊. Subscriber to Mirai Live?

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi All,

I'm starting a thread on this Ponderosa Pine I collected this past spring in the Cascade Range. It was growing perfectly in a small rock pocket and only one small tap root about the size of a pencil needed to be cut for removal. It went into pure pumice upon getting home, and wood blocks were placed in the anderson flat to keep the root mass constricted. Over the growing season, it didn't skip a beat with a full flush of new growth.

It's not a particularly "gnarly" individual, but I love the aged bark and dead branches up the trunk. Long-term I think this will make a nice bunjin/literati composition. For now, it's going to live as-is through at least one more growing season.

View attachment 406924 View attachment 406925
This is a great find and welcome to the cat-and-mouse game with Ponderosas! You're already in the right direction with the all-pumice substrate. I like the plan of going with the literati style. Keep us updated!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a good practice tree. Sounds like a good collecting experience with a good chance of survival. If it makes it, next time look for more movement / interest in the trunk.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Good to leave grow a year. Pumice perfect/wise. Cultivate life of low branch. Not bad trunk/bark for beginnings😊. Subscriber to Mirai Live?
Do you recommend pumice as a substrate for newly collected ponderosa, or also as a growing medium once planted in a bonsai pot?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you recommend pumice as a substrate for newly collected ponderosa, or also as a growing medium once planted in a bonsai pot?
Could likely use most any non organic with good drainage for newly collected. Personally did this in past. Ryan Neil personal recommendation was pumice for Ponderosa. As mine repotted all(pines)go into pure pumice now😌.

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I second @Potawatomi13 's suggestion of all pumice - especially with Pondering Ponderosas. It's pretty much the go to recipe for yamadori conifers. All of my collected pines are in pure pumice.
1.jpg
3.jpg
4 and 5.jpg

@Brian Van Fleet told me once that "when in doubt, check the results" (I'm paraphrasing him). All of the renowned collectors all use pure pumice to let their collected trees recover.

Top Bottom