Collected Privet advice and feedback

nmilewski

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey all,

I collected this privet from my brother's property this morning, and I'm really excited about it.

I'm almost 2 years into taking bonsai seriously and have collected many trees. Most survive. I'm learning a lot about styling but think this is my best material collected and don't want to F it up.

I'll be letting it heal and regrow roots for the time being but i was curious to hear other's thoughts on what to do with it.

Hope everyone is doing well through quarantine isolation situations!

Attachments

• IMG_20200316_124927.jpg
    IMG_20200316_124927.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20200316_125109.jpg
    IMG_20200316_125109.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 70

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Interesting, If it were mine, I would prune (chop) lower. You can still do so this week.
You will get better, that is lower down on the trunk back budding if you do the prune right away. If you leave it all, and then prune it low (chop lower) next year, the back budding will not be as vigorous as it would be if you did the chop now.
Privet-edited.jpg

nmilewski

Seedling
Reaction score
Interesting, If it were mine, I would prune (chop) lower. You can still do so this week.
You will get better, that is lower down on the trunk back budding if you do the prune right away. If you leave it all, and then prune it low (chop lower) next year, the back budding will not be as vigorous as it would be if you did the chop now.
View attachment 289390
Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to hear as I never really knew there's a difference between chop now and chop later

Top Bottom