Collected Pyracantha 2

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
On 3/16/2014, several local bonsai club members and I went on a dig. We finished at noon and had a great time. There were 6 of us but one is a boy helping his mom (so technically just 5). We only took 2-4 trees each.

Turned out there were 4 pyracantha and I took 2. Another friend took one but it was so difficult all 6 of us teamed up on it. All are in the property line and portion of each them are on the other side of the fence...I had to dig under the tree and fence to cut roots going the other way. It was hard!!!

Here are some pics...

Pyracantha 2
Before pic (w/ chopped #1 on the background)
attachment.php

As taken out of the hole.
attachment.php

Root ball chopped back with a hatchet to flatten it. :eek:
attachment.php

After repot...
attachment.php

On 04/12/2014, it got trimmed back a lot and sporting new growth already. Lots of carving coming next year.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Pyracantha2a.jpg
    Pyracantha2a.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Pyracantha2b.jpg
    Pyracantha2b.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 109

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Both your P's are fantastic...I am even jealous!;)
I wish you did not chop it so short I was going to give you a technique to create taper...but you can still try it.
Check my album techniques on FB...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Both your P's are fantastic...I am even jealous!;)
I wish you did not chop it so short I was going to give you a technique to create taper...but you can still try it.
Check my album techniques on FB...

Thanks Neli. It was a hard decision but I have a plan (I think) and this should be sufficient and I managed to channel the energy where I need it. There are new growth on the main trunk now. :)

I've been rubbing off new growth from the base of this almost weekly and removed possibly more than a hundred already...and they are persistently growing. Good thing is that the top is getting it's equal share of growth. :)

BTW, the back of the last pic is also a potential front...depending on how the carving goes.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Holy smokes Dario, those are monsters! Looks like a long term project with those stumps. interesting too the one with the hard wood rot. Great find!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just carve...create the illusion of taper then frame the deadwood with foliage. Style wise, I will have to wait and see what the tree offers but looks like it can be anything since it gave me growth everywhere and all around. :cool: I am not even decided on a front yet (3rd pic of OP, the blurred one, is a top contender). :D

Top Bottom