Collected Quince

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In August of 2003, I collected a division of a very large flowering quince.

A week or two later, my friend, Ron Heinan collected another division from the same plant. In August of 2005, dissatisfied with the progress of his division, Ron sold me his quince. I have been working with it since then.

It flowered last year. This year, after repotting in a new pot, it has flowered fairly early. The picture I took has one flower, but about 8 more will blossom.

I hope you enjoy my quince and its solitary (for now) flower.

Attachments

• quince with 1 flower ul2.jpg
    quince with 1 flower ul2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 115

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Increase ramification, develop more short branches for more flowers, and thereby develop more flowering. I am discovering that for collected quince like this, it takes time for them to come into their own bearing flowers. I think 4 to 5 years is fairly standard, but then you have maybe 8 or 10 blossoms. I always want more.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it.

I think a shallower pot in a different color that contrasts with the flowers may be a better choice, but that all depends on if it is the flowers you want to accentuate. But you have time, the tree needs the room now, this will be a great bonsai someday, thanks for sharing it.

Will

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice quince there. Red blooms? Any idea of the cultivar?

What part of the country are you located? I love quince and have a few different varieties but here in Florida they have seemed to be a bit slow to respond. Not getting out of control growth as I had expected. Considering planting in ground for a while.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in the upper Midwest, West Des Moines, IA. I have no idea of the cultivar because the plant this division is from, is most likely over 80 years old. The Henry Fielding Nursery has been in this area that long, and they have a red flowering variety they market as simply "Chaenomeles Speciosa." Around Des Moines, in the yards of some older homes, you can find this same type of quince.

Thanks for responding.

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Please keep us posted on the development of this quince clump. I'd like to see how a flowering bonsai clump progresses over time. Do you wire? or just clip and grow?

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do a little of both. Young shoots--that is, anything under about 6 years--can be wired fairly easily. After that, things get a lot more difficult when you try to wire. Ideally, I try to wire as soon as possible.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Fred...Here is another photo of the quince when Ron and I repotted it in 2006.

Attachments

• DSC04850.jpg
    DSC04850.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 26

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In checking back, I most likely got the date of purchase from Ron wrong. It was 2006.

Top Bottom