Collected rosemary... fingers crossed

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve had this rosemary growing in my flower bed for a couple years now. I’ve pruned and shaped it a bit w the intention to dig it up and pot it. Rosemary is notorious for not liking its roots messed with. I tried to get as much of the root ball as possible... I got most judging by the nursery pot soil from when it was planted. I just shook the loose stuff free and went ahead and potted w/ further disturbing the roots. I pruned to shape it... and I refrained from wiring, but I’m dying to.

Anyone collected rosemary successfully before? Anything special about maintenance post pot? Keep it in the shade for a few weeks?

Cross your fingers that it doesn’t have a fit and get wilty and die back. I really think this could be super cool in a couple years!

0E94B125-C6DE-496C-B6E4-4D7A77E3B074.jpeg

Attachments

• A0DF23E1-59B8-4D49-8A9A-1B8236076129.jpeg
    A0DF23E1-59B8-4D49-8A9A-1B8236076129.jpeg
    443 KB · Views: 20
  • D9017888-BBE1-41E8-81CA-FA03863FEC8B.jpeg
    D9017888-BBE1-41E8-81CA-FA03863FEC8B.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 20

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ... I really think this could be super cool in a couple years!
Sure it will!
I wish you the best!
Keep your hands at your back now. Do not touch it again!
I'm sure you will update as soon as you see those nice little new leaflets :)

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
The pot is a bit small...

But otherwise it's incredible already!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Maybe @Vin will chime in. I believe he has some nice rosemary. I tried potting one up once, but it didn't work out well.:(

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's a really nice one indeed. If you got most of the roots during collection it should be okay. All it needs now is shade, water and time. I've got three in the ground that need to come out but they may have to wait until next year. I'm going to try something a little different with one of them. I'm going to slice straight down on two sides of the trunk about 8 inches away. We'll see..

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's a really nice one indeed. If you got most of the roots during collection it should be okay. All it needs now is shade, water and time. I've got three in the ground that need to come out but they may have to wait until next year. I'm going to try something a little different with one of them. I'm going to slice straight down on two sides of the trunk about 8 inches away. We'll see..

Please let us know of your success! Good luck :)

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Please let us know of your success! Good luck :)
Will do. We all know this technique works well with collected material when done the year prior to collection. Now I just have to decide which one of the three I'll won't feel so bad about losing if it doesn't work. :(

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I never heard that rosemary was fussy about root work. Earlier this spring I took a couple of 5 gal nursery pot plants and whacked the hell out of the roots - at least 50% reduction. Potted up in 100% pumice. It's been over a month and they seem to be doing fine. I guess sometimes it's just best to be ignorant.

Of course they could still crash and burn when summer hits.

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it comes w/ age... the older and more established the rosemary, the less it tolerates being disturbed.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I never heard that rosemary was fussy about root work. Earlier this spring I took a couple of 5 gal nursery pot plants and whacked the hell out of the roots - at least 50% reduction. Potted up in 100% pumice. It's been over a month and they seem to be doing fine. I guess sometimes it's just best to be ignorant.

Of course they could still crash and burn when summer hits.
You did the work at the perfect time. If the roots were mostly fine feeder roots it will most likely be just fine.

Top Bottom