Collected Sand pine"Pinus clausa"

Flabonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I Collected this sand pine today before a land clearing here in south Florida. I potted it in the sand it was growing in for now. It stands about 2 ft tall. Should I keep it in the shade for about a month?

Attachments

• 20190408_164037.jpg
    20190408_164037.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 80

Theo Smith

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I Collected this sand pine today before a land clearing here in south Florida. I potted it in the sand it was growing in for now. It stands about 2 ft tall. Should I keep it in the shade for about a month?
Hey there, I’m curious as to if this tree made it? I live in South Florida and have often wondered if they could be collected.

Flabonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hey there, I’m curious as to if this tree made it? I live in South Florida and have often wondered if they could be collected.

No it ended up dying about a month later. I ended up finding one on ebay that was collected 5 years ago and its doing well.

Theo Smith

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
No it ended up dying about a month later. I ended up finding one on ebay that was collected 5 years ago and its doing well.
Got ya, thanks for the update. I'd like to add one to my bench. What do you think about the species? They look like they have a ton of potential to make some great material.

Weaponman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You collected too late in the spring. You need to collect sand pines in January or february. The dense sand soils they they grow in usually are too wet in a container so you need to almost bare root it immediately after collecting, unless you can find smaller seedlings growing in more loose mulch topsoil.

Top Bottom