Collected seedlings suddenly die

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
Hello everyone, I'm writing this in case anyone experienced the same. I'm really puzzled.
About 3 weeks ago I collected some JM seedlings and planted them in bonsai soil.
Some didn't make it and I understand that. They only had the tap root, we've been through some cold weather, etc.
Most of them stayed lively and started growing the first pair of leaves.
Now suddenly a few are just wilting and drying up.
I pulled them out and they have a few tiny new white roots, which seem pretty fine too me.
Is this normal?
I'm starting to think everything I touch dies...
A fine one (in the back) and a dying one.

Attachments

• IMG_20210422_185936__01.jpg
    IMG_20210422_185936__01.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 31

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Could be from shock? Did you pull them up or dug around them then loosened the dirt to get them?

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Could be from shock? Did you pull them up or dug around them then loosened the dirt to get them?
Dug around and for almost everyone of them all the soil fell off so I was left with the top and the tap root. But this was the first phase. Now I'm talking about why they started developing roots and then died off.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Dug around and for almost everyone of them all the soil fell off so I was left with the top and the tap root. But this was the first phase. Now I'm talking about why they started developing roots and then died off.
Could be transplant shock then.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Touch mainstream media!

I think it may have been a wee early combined with the cold.

Sorce
You make me think Sorce... I guess since bonsai soil lets a lot of air in, which is beneficial if the plant is established, it's not so in this particular case when it's too cold.
Well, I hope natural selection works on my side from now on for the remaining ones (80%)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for your bad luck. I have had 100% in transplanting JM seedlings. I do wait until at least a second set of leaves appears and I usually wait until May. Seedlings always go into a light soiless potting mix for at least two years and generally more before I put them in a bonsai mix. Maybe I am just lucky but it is the way I do it and the way I always have. I have much more difficulty with seed germination than I do with transplanting seedlings. I know Atlanta come have some wicked temps. Go back and try some more in May.
Good Luck.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm actually in Germany now! ;-)
I collected them in a park and comes May, they might be gone, crushed or cut.
Thanks for sharing your experience @penumbra. I think your soil is probably better at the beginning of they might need even more protection than what I did.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
give me a shout if they fail. I have planted a bunch of seeds, which I hope will germinate later this month.

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry for your bad luck. I have had 100% in transplanting JM seedlings. I do wait until at least a second set of leaves appears and I usually wait until May. Seedlings always go into a light soiless potting mix for at least two years and generally more before I put them in a bonsai mix. Maybe I am just lucky but it is the way I do it and the way I always have. I have much more difficulty with seed germination than I do with transplanting seedlings. I know Atlanta come have some wicked temps. Go back and try some more in May.
Good Luck.
Is the intent to transplant them early to just get them the space they need to develop quicker? Versus leaving them in the planting tray until say, next spring? Just curious as I’m currently debating.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is the intent to transplant them early to just get them the space they need to develop quicker? Versus leaving them in the planting tray until say, next spring? Just curious as I’m currently debating.
When transplanting wild collected seedlings, I go directly to a pot. Usually 4 inch but larger if transplant warrants it. From a tray, I usually let them go a full season and then transplant to pots. I do it when they are still dormant but buds are swelling, whereas from the wild I collect them with leaves. This is for JM. I have found other seedlings are treated according to my experience with them.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I also transplant lots of JM seedlings. I have no problem digging them with no soil and I usually cut the roots hard at transplant because I get much better lateral roots that way for better nebari. Bare root and roots cut I still get close to 1000% survival.
Check the stems right down near the soil. Very young seedlings are susceptible to 'damping off' fungal infection, especially when they don't have good air movement or enough sun shine. The stem just at ground level collapses and shrinks then the seedling wilts and often falls over. Fungicide can help if you suspect damping off.

If not damping off maybe they are drying out if the mix is very open?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Touch mainstream media!

I think it may have been a wee early combined with the cold.

Sorce

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”

― Mark Twain

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Do you spray directly the roots?
Look for a systemic fungicide that treats damping off. Spray the whole plant and the soil. Systemic means it can be absorbed through the leaves and roots and then goes right through the plant. Fungicide cannot cure badly infected seedlings but can stop the disease getting to any healthy ones.
Sunshine and moving air and soil not being too wet will also help prevent damping off.

Top Bottom