Collected Shore Pine - Vancouver Island

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
IMG_1110.JPG
I don't get here often but wanted to share this. It was collected on Vancouver Island a year ago, and has just been re-potted and had some work done on it. This is by far my oldest tree. Thoughts and comments appreciated! Have just done some candle pinching as we are having an unusually warm start to the year here in Victoria.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
An old, nice pine with beautiful bark. What are you plans for this tree?

Rob

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It has tipped right making the left the crown. I jinned some of the old back branches. Long term It grew this way so I don't want to deviate too much from how it is nowi

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the bark and age of this tree. All that's growing to the left is too straight tho. Above the branch fork It would look better if it could be bent back towards the right and the lower fork brought down and forward a bit. Along with all this major realignment there needs to be movement put in just about everything that's not too stiff to bend. The main branch left is really too straight in its lower open area but not much to be done except maybe moving some small branches in front to disguise it a bit. Personally I hate cutting off anything that's old but the tree might look better "IF" the left branch was gone. That's a big decision and your tree so I won't say I'd do it.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like it. I live just south of you and I have managed to collect several seedlings but nothing this nice.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
It has tipped right making the left the crown. I jinned some of the old back branches. Long term It grew this way so I don't want to deviate too much from how it is nowi

If you can improve it, then you should. It doesnt matter that it grew before like this or like that, just try to get the best out of it whatever that takes.
Good luck!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you could shoot some photos from 360* around the tree you might be surprised what some could see. I would not at this point be swift to cut anything. When you start with a Yamadori you must, in the end, have a tree that indeed reveals itself as such.

If I were to remove anything significant it would be more like the right side and doing so by making it into jin. This tree has a sling shot configuration problem and I think you can see it. Jinning the left side would look awful, like a stick, sticking out for no reason. You would be just as well cutting it very short or flush. Jinning the right side would look more natural as though the tree had suffered disaster and regrew on the left side.

In doing this you will have to carefully and aggressively wire the branching on the left side into a more of a tree shape giving evidence that the tree happened to look like this naturally. You will also have to incline the tree a bit more to elevate the left side of the tree and lower the now jinned out remains of the Right side of the tree. All of this is just my opinion and if you are having trouble in seeing what I am saying; it would probably be better if you left the tree alone till you have a good vision for it that you do see, and believe in. People have made in the past the assertion that the best material to start learning bonsai with are Yamadori trees. I disagree with this claim. Yamadoris are trees that are, in most cases, in excess of fifty years old and as such should be treated with intelligent design and respect. I find the hack and slashing to see what might happen with no idea for the future almost inexcusable.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I agree with vance and jkl- yamadori are a completely different ball game. Sometime it just something that comes with experience, and by no means am I an expert, but tree's that have been alive as long or longer then us deserve respect careful contemplation. If you unsure of how to style the tree, then go with other people advice but make sure your 100% before you move forward. Old trunks or branches are not ez'ly replaced if you make a wrong cut.

"When you start with a Yamadori you must, in the end, have a tree that indeed reveals itself as such."

Don't think I could have worded that better. Definitely wait until the tree's reveals it's self to you, but until then some shot from all side would def help

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You will notice in post #3, the poster's answer to my reply. He does not seem interested in making this tree into a more bonsai like image, but rather leaving it like it is now.

Rob

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You will notice in post #3, the poster's answer to my reply. He does not seem interested in making this tree into a more bonsai like image, but rather leaving it like it is now.

Rob

But earlier he does ask for comments and suggestions. As is true in any case, however, no one has to take any of the suggestions.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It seems to me,, and I suppose it might be considered argumentative, if you plan on converting a Yamadori into a bonsai but; you refuse to do anything to the tree. It is kind of incumbant on you (gneric) to define what the tree is and why you think it is already perfect. I have yet to see a Yamadori that could not be improved by a little work. To harvest a Yamadori and not do those things necessary to convert the tree into the masterpiece it deserves to become, is almost as bad as harvesting the tree and turning it into an old contorted clump of junk suggestive of a failed nursery exeriment. The point is; if the tree is perfect and most are not, and if you are unwilling to do anything to the tree to improve it, claiming a moral high ground, why don't you do the ultimate improvement---- you could leave it in the ground out in the woods and mountian sides where it can live out it life as it was intended and not disturbed by an indecisive mind?

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It seems to me,, and I suppose it might be considered argumentative, if you plan on converting a Yamadori into a bonsai but; you refuse to do anything to the tree. It is kind of incumbant on you (gneric) to define what the tree is and why you think it is already perfect. I have yet to see a Yamadori that could not be improved by a little work. To harvest a Yamadori and not do those things necessary to convert the tree into the masterpiece it deserves to become, is almost as bad as harvesting the tree and turning it into an old contorted clump of junk suggestive of a failed nursery exeriment. The point is; if the tree is perfect and most are not, and if you are unwilling to do anything to the tree to improve it, claiming a moral high ground, why don't you do the ultimate improvement---- you could leave it in the ground out in the woods and mountian sides where it can live out it life as it was intended and not disturbed by an indecisive mind?

I guess it comes down to people enjoying being on the cusp of the bonsai art.:) However, I did have a thought even before I read your reply. If the case is that you just want a yamadori tree to put on display. Perhaps it's best to use a larger container or pot. Sort of like a patio or landscape tree pot to display near your doorway. Like people do with spruces and maples. Why try to get it in a smaller pot and disturb the roots if it is not going to become a trained bonsai? Anyway, whatever makes one happy, I guess.

Rob

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would like to add to my above pontifications. I believe I am right but I know that from an historical view point I am wrong. I have seen it in print in books that the Japanese would collect trees from the fields in the early days of bonsai and do nothing to them other than keep them alive. So there is an historical precedence for doing nothing with them. Having said that it should also be noted that that particular practice is not followed any longer to the best of my knowledge. It must also be noted that this particular tree is not one of those really beautiful trees worthy of standing without improvement. With improvement the tree could be brought to what one could call world class condition.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
A beautiful example of a North American potted tree. lots of potential. My question is what direction do you plan on or want to take it. Its a very cool looking tree, the trunk movement is just fantastic.

Top Bottom