Collected Sub Alpine Fire Twin Trunk

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This tree was collected in the fall of 2017, features a large base and natural jin. thought I would post a couple of progression photos. Good reminders of patience while one waits for the potential to emerge. So often in the beginning even a glimpse of design is not easy.
First picture is 2017 right after collection. Second picture is February 2021 after initial design and branch selection. Third picture is today showing the growth that will make developing the design possible. Note that changing planting angle meant back into a development box for a while.
IMG_0885.JPGIMG_1407.JPGIMG_1653.JPG

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice Frank I hate all you guys with access to mountains . ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ tallest point in Ontario is 2300 feet . Do you find the elevation change any extra struggle to establish collected material.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice Frank I hate all you guys with access to mountains . ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ tallest point in Ontario is 2300 feet . Do you find the elevation change any extra struggle to establish collected material.
I don't think the elevation change affects establishing the material except perhaps providing a milder climate for the trees.
Affecting the actual collection is another matter. More so with each year. I used to think going down was easier than going up. But with a load and the incline it seems to have reversed itself.
The best collecting sites are often the least accessible. particularly the higher elevation trees. It is not often that one can use anything more than arm strong equipment.
It really helps to have a collecting partner for many reasons. Try to pick someone younger and stronger than yourself.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I get the physical part not exactly 18 years old myself ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ was reminded that myself this spring collected a fair size sugar maple . When I picked it up first thought was this hardwood tree ainโ€™t exactly the same as a nice light wood thuja . I. Asked the elevation. Question mainly as I have no experience doing it and have heard of complications but I think the culprit . Is taking a high mountain alpine tree into
Warmer climate . More extreme than you probably encounter. Think a more southern climate

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I get the physical part not exactly 18 years old myself ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ was reminded that myself this spring collected a fair size sugar maple . When I picked it up first thought was this hardwood tree ainโ€™t exactly the same as a nice light wood thuja . I. Asked the elevation. Question mainly as I have no experience doing it and have heard of complications but I think the culprit . Is taking a high mountain alpine tree into
Warmer climate . More extreme than you probably encounter. Think a more southern climate
Yes that has been noted. One particular;ar situation involved MT. Hemlock collected on Vancouver Island, transported to the Bay Area of San Francisco. The gradually weakened over a period of three or four years. When they were transferred further north to the Portland area they recovered and began to thrive again. The amount of climate change and lack of dormancy in the winter was the suspected cause. in both locations they were being cared for by professionals.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice material, Frank. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Do these take a long time for branches to set like other firs?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice material, Frank. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Do these take a long time for branches to set like other firs?
My closest comparison would be MT. Hemlock and they take considerable time to set older branches in place. Sub Alpine Fir is similar. I suspect it has to do with the natural characteristics of trees that need to survive at higher altitudes and deal with heavy snow pack. The ability to bounce back in the spring along with upward growth tendencies of the new shoots.
I find the best approach is to re wire at the time you are taking old wire off. It requires several applications for stronger branches to attain steady positioning. Gradually one needs to use less of the heavier gauge wire and more of the finer gauge as the design progresses.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great looking fir!
My favourite is the one I collected the spring prior to this one. My triple trunk shown below. This is an older picture but shows the overall direction of the design. It is progressing nicely as well. Both trees are under five years in development. They should look pretty good in time.IMG_1369.JPG

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes that has been noted. One particular;ar situation involved MT. Hemlock collected on Vancouver Island, transported to the Bay Area of San Francisco. The gradually weakened over a period of three or four years. When they were transferred further north to the Portland area they recovered and began to thrive again. The amount of climate change and lack of dormancy in the winter was the suspected cause. in both locations they were being cared for by professionals.
We bonsai people are notorious for thinking because itโ€™s in a portable pot we can grow . Stuff far out of its natural range . Iโ€™ve learnt the hard way . Zone 4 here so with extra winter protection and care I can grow stuff like Japanese. Maple and black pine and lots peeps do I donโ€™t shorter season also struggle to get 1/2 the growth a year someone in the right zone can get . Just frustrate myself . We all seem to want what we donโ€™t have Guys in the south want north trees we want southern trees . Much happier growing what fits my zone in the long run

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I grew up in Ontario but years ago moved to Oregon. From the perspective of "Oregon Eyes", pretty much everything in Canadian Shield areas literally looks like it belongs at 4 or 5000ft or even higher -- The climate (in terms of broad strokes) is basically the same, and species types and adaptations are kinda similar. Head out to shield country, look for bogs, look for poor soil. You will find lots of stuff.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I grew up in Ontario but years ago moved to Oregon. From the perspective of "Oregon Eyes", pretty much everything in Canadian Shield areas literally looks like it belongs at 4 or 5000ft or even higher -- The climate (in terms of broad strokes) is basically the same, and species types and adaptations are kinda similar. Head out to shield country, look for bogs, look for poor soil. You will find lots of stuff.
Very true, I have always been interested particularly in the spruce and larch I observe in my cross country jaunts through the shield.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are both correct I actually have in the past and now do surprisingly well as most people think in cottage country Ontario . Southern edge of shield as you guys point out we have Rock sticking out everywhere . Only down side is wearing out hiking boots finding small pockets itโ€™s a treasure here abs there not a area of good trees Unfortunately. Most bogs near me are protected wet land and Bogs are nasty places ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ bugs will eat you alive in the summer hunting trees . Iโ€™d rather go fishing scout shores and islands for winter wind torture . ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ Actually Iโ€™m not a larch guy basically never found a good enough one Iโ€™m actually fairly picky . But Iโ€™m with you Frank about black spruce but going to have to go more north dam there tough trees . Need very harsh conditions to dwarf . As you guys say there is lots of material around was just kidding about hate you mountain men ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

JPH

Mame
Reaction score
I also used to live in Ontario (Greater Sudbury area). The entire area is basically exposed rock. People used to call it a moonscape (though now its quite beautiful). I've seen tons of Swamp Maples, Oaks, Jack Pines and Red Pines with insane character. I had success contacting the MNR about pulling small trees/shrubs from Crown Land. They actually didn't seem to care at all so long as I wasn't taking "full sized" trees and didn't completely raze an area. Be sure to ask anyway.

Here is a good resource. It's the Crown Land Use Policy Atlas (CLUPA). CLUPA .
Click on "Map Layers" and then you can select/deselect different things. It's come in handy for me.

Some pictures of an area I used to frequent near a friend's camp.
13718180_644129769089693_652332502_o.jpgSudz01.jpgBlube.jpg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So Sudbury was not cold enough for you you had to move farther north ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ Just kidding . Iโ€™ve seen the resource stuff before but thanks for thinking of me ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘like I said need to organize a trip north appreciate if you could PM me and give me some areas to narrow the search ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž. As for permission been down that road but for those that have not . The basic rules for crown land are no protected species There is a camping on crown land licence you should have that in Ontario . That gives you permission to collect wood from trees for a fire And build a shelter there is nothing about digging trees . Itโ€™s not necessary illegal since you can cut one down as per above . But itโ€™s a grey area . Next up the list is a harvest licence this can be personal and for a business essentially there looking for taxes based on the value of lumber you harvest on a larger scale . I got one once for the minimum for area . For a club collecting excursion I think it was 250 $ just so we had paperwork we could have collect 20 times the trees we did and even the ministry guys said it was overkill . Normally the camping licence and ask nicely at the local ministry office is all you need to collect from crown land in Ontario . I
Example I dis that for my most recent tree a roadside maple . Ministry said did not care went to the township office as back up as they contract out keeping over growth from interfering with power lines tree I collected had been Previously chopped for such . Again they said sure take what you want. So normally itโ€™s pretty easy just ask nicely only takes a little effort

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And donโ€™t tell me it donโ€™t get to cold in Sudbury . When younger I drag raced snowmobiles . Raced the Canadian championship. Third weekend in February multiple times . Several times bellow -30 c North Bay on lake Nippising which as Iโ€™m sure your aware is not exactly a puddle. . When the weathers bad ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: JPH

JPH

Mame
Reaction score
Great trees BTW, Rivers Edge! I like everything about them! Very inspiring!

Sudbury was plenty cold! It's damp too which makes it worse IMO. I sort of miss the area to be honest. But I've really taken a liking to the James Bay despite the lengthy winters.

One of these days I want to get out onto one of the small islands up here. They are more protected from forest fires, so I bet there are some great OLD trees to find there...

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great trees BTW, Rivers Edge! I like everything about them! Very inspiring!

Sudbury was plenty cold! It's damp too which makes it worse IMO. I sort of miss the area to be honest. But I've really taken a liking to the James Bay despite the lengthy winters.

One of these days I want to get out onto one of the small islands up here. They are more protected from forest fires, so I bet there are some great OLD trees to find there...
I have collected trees from islands down here normally the best stuff . Is close to shore and not very high from water level . So the winter wind can really torture it with snow and ice pellets from the lake . Di my best scouting in my fishing kayak donโ€™t even have to get my feet dirty ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ but Iโ€™m sure there is crazy quility stuff up there

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Iโ€™m sure some of you already know who David Easterbrook is but for those that donโ€™t . He was long time curator of the bonsai collection at the Montreal botanical gardens . And life long bonsai enthusiast and teacher . He is semi retired and has even trimmed his personal collection somewhat . But he has had and still has some impressive. Larch and black spruce a lot of it from northern Quebec some of his collected stuff is fairly unique . And maybe not to some tastes but he is very talented

• Wow
Reactions: JPH
Top Bottom