Collected Tree ID Help

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I collected this tree early this spring in near a river in South GA with my teacher, Rodney Clemons and my uncle Buddy. We weren't and still aren't sure what it is, any help with ID is appreciated. The tree stands close to 5' tall and is hollow with 3-4 holes in the trunk as it twists upward. Thanks for looking...

Attachments

• photo (23).jpg
    photo (23).jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 69
  • photo (24).jpg
    photo (24).jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 69
  • photo (25).jpg
    photo (25).jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 61

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Kind of looks like a Myrtle Oak. But, if your talking about "the" Rodney Clemons and he doesn't know then it's not likely to be so easy to identify. Good luck.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
no idea...Ken is really good with identification...maybe he will see this and chime in.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
1. Was this the only one of its kind (species) in the area?

2. Was the collection location near any current of former building sites?

I ask because a quick scan of a couple of the Eastern NA tree books don't find a leaf the looks like this, so it could be an exotic???????

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It could be feral from an exotic. Exoctics tend to reproduce, or try and if conditions are right they will invade an environment. If the seeds are spread by squirrels, or birds from some landscape planting it is very possible the tree is indeed a feral wilding from maybe twenty-miles away.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This almost reminds me of Guyabano or Soursop tree but it is a tropical and can't possibly live where you are. It could be a relative worth pursuing as a lead.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for your replies. The tree was found in untouched woods, just up from a slough and we collected at least 1 or maybe 2 more of the species, one of which didn't make it. There have been no buildings or structures near there anytime. Self-proclaimed plant nerd Russel Cooker saw my pics and made a quick distinction of Black Titi Buckwheat Tree Searching for info and images seems like that could be it. This winter will tell if it is or isn't if it keeps it's leaves and blooms white or pink flowers in spring.

Thanks again all...

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for your replies. The tree was found in untouched woods, just up from a slough and we collected at least 1 or maybe 2 more of the species, one of which didn't make it. There have been no buildings or structures near there anytime. Self-proclaimed plant nerd Russel Cooker saw my pics and made a quick distinction of Black Titi Buckwheat Tree Searching for info and images seems like that could be it. This winter will tell if it is or isn't if it keeps it's leaves and blooms white or pink flowers in spring.

Thanks again all...

Oh yeah, completely forgot about the Black Titi Buckwheat tree.. Leave it Russell to pull that one out of his bag of tricks. :rolleyes:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

Thanks again all...
Right. If it is the Black Titi, you're going to need to protect it a fair bit this winter, I suppose. Nice trunk...

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Eli, I could be wrong, but I don't think that it is titi.The leaves on mine are more rounded than that. Also the newest stems have ridges on them. Upon consulting Eastern Forests,it appears to be myrtle dahoon, ilex myrtifolia. hope this helps. Give me a shout next time you're down south....SK

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I was going to guess one of the Tupelo, Nyssa genus. There are 3 species or more in the GA, FL area. But I can't tell. The bark is too smooth to be persimmon at that age, by 7 to 10 years persimmon start getting an alligator checked bark.

So Russel's guess is probably better than mine. He does know his plants.

Top Bottom