Collected Vine Maple Clump

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I collected this vine maple clump in early June of 2017 when snow melt allowed. It was my first collecting trip and I was going for big root balls and left as much native soil as I could, filling around it with pumice. Today was its first repot into a training pot, as buds are breaking very early here. The area of the root mass in contact with the pumice was super healthy and happy looking, where as the root mass left all in native soil was a mess, with lots of mud and looking like it had little to no drainage. I removed as much native soil as I could today, and next time I collect vine maple I will try removing most/all of the native soil before it’s initial potting. I was thrilled to get a good look at the base for the first time and it’s pretty impressive. No wire or pruning so far, aside from removing a dead trunk. Lots of options and lots of potential here. And so it’s thread begins...0F43B7CF-D886-4101-B128-17CC80B84F82.jpegFD24FCB1-9AC2-48CB-BAA6-7AF3871D28E7.jpeg1064DC92-D24D-414A-BBA4-AD65D1973421.jpeg5C3DA14C-8E26-40F0-8A39-5B09512803D9.jpeg94E30D8E-810F-4071-9FA5-5B5972A5D5BE.jpeg

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Wonderful! Vine maples are best when they have a casual, wild feel to them. I'd love to get one of these. Very nice Josh!
To say we have them available to collect is an understatement. When I called a state forest ranger to ask about collecting them I was told I could take as many as I want with the total measured in cubic footage approximately that of a pickup truck bed. If you let me know what you have in mind I would gladly keep an eye out on my hunts and collect one for you.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
To say we have them available to collect is an understatement. When I called a state forest ranger to ask about collecting them I was told I could take as many as I want with the total measured in cubic footage approximately that of a pickup truck bed. If you let me know what you have in mind I would gladly keep an eye out on my hunts and collect one for you.

Collecting in OR or WA?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Thank you Josh. I know there are quite a bit out there on the upper West Coast. I myself would love a clump much like what you have. PM whenever you have something and thank you again!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Thank you Josh. I know there are quite a bit out there on the upper West Coast. I myself would love a clump much like what you have. PM whenever you have something and thank you again!
Will do!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
See Michael Hagedorn website for his Vine Maples;). Simple, whimsical, relaxing. Reminds of Spring in NW.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This clump came with a permit in Gifford Pinchot National Forest in WA.
I think I remember the vine maples had zero limit… but that may have only been for cuttings (for which rooting is apparently pretty easy!)

I’m down to collect more of these :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom