Collected Wisteria Soil

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found an nice wisteria that I can collect this weekend. What would be the best soil for this, should I bare root it or leave some original soil?
I have some turface & bark / Pumice / used Brussels soil
I read some of the past post about collected wisteria on here, just asking current opinions ...

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
A moisture retentive mix, basically any bonsai mix designed for deciduous species will work well. Wisteria is very tolerant of various soil components, exact mix is not important as long as it is not too dry. Wisteria need a lot of water. Often growers have to set their wisteria in shallow basins of water during the heat of summer, otherwise they would need to water 3 times a day.

The used Brussel's mix should be fine.

You can usually get away with bare rooting. Wisteria are very resilient. No need to be gentle during the repot.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I collected a couple last spring and put them in a mix of 25% pumice, 25% hadite, 50% pine bark. In spite of being chopped back to practically no roots they grew like weeds. I kept them in a tray of water all summer and fertilized them regularly with MiracleGro. Mine are over 10 years old but given the recent disturbance I don’t expect flowers this spring. I’ll post photos once they start to grow again But here ae a few from last year.

21CD1B4D-6075-4364-A9A5-D30C12A47F6E.jpeg
0DB49C09-C253-4722-B280-A344831D5A5C.jpeg

Last edited:

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Leo and Cofga, your info will help. Hope to dig this weekend, will post pictures.

Top Bottom