Collected wisteria

Reaction score
I went and collected 4 wild growing wisteria about a month ago.
The smaller 3 dropped all their leaves and seem to be dieing. I'm not sure they are gonna make it. Not too sure if there's anything I can do.

Otherwise this one seems to be doing OK and is the bigger of the 4

I'm hoping it survives and I can do something with it. I didn't have good soil to put these in when I collected, which may have been what killed the other 3

The surface the roots are growing out of is mildly flat ish... and With the way it's growing It might make a decent cascade in a cpl years if planted differently to allow roots to grow properly

It's probably like 3' tall right now. about 4' wide.
Definitely plan on cutting it back next year

Any other advice?

.20180414_132557.jpg20180414_132609.jpg20180414_132659.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That soil and pot combo is deadly.

I think your best bet would be to cut a whole in the ground exactly that pot shape...
And remove it from there and put it in the ground just like that.

That soil in terra cotta increases your odds a bit.
Loose soil in that pot will increase your odds...

But black soil, in a plastic pot, in Georgia...
Geeeoorgiaaa..
Even a blind guy can see that death happening!

Then again I may be blind to how fast it will eat your house and yard if in the ground!

Careful!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Sorce

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That soil looks waterlogged, how much have you been watering? Or has it been raining alot?

Reaction score
It doesnt dry out very well...
on the other hand I definitely just watered it
it was the only dirt around once I got home that day from collecting
I have some soil mixed with bark now that will drain pretty well, but ive had that here in that soil only around a month or more and dont really want to shock it anymore.

I wanna transplant it so bad, not sure if I should.
I may get some "soil stuffs" around the beginning of may
mychorrizae, maybe turface, bark bits

maybe then I could just drop it in water and stake it really good in some better soil?
or maybe somehow ill drop it in the ground..... that soil is heavy, I dont wanna damage anything thats grown thus far...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wanna transplant it so bad, not sure if I should.

It is not a question of being the proper time, they all need to get into a well draining mix to stand any chance of survival. Doing it now may even give you good results on the others...

Grimmy

Reaction score
I repotted the wisteria in the pics. even put it in a bigger pot. soil definitealy drains way better. im less worried right now about that one as it came right out of the dirt and into way better soil. im not messing with it now til next season.

(next season I will need help with it since I am about to lose my arm to cancer in the next few months) *not fun*

the other ones are only a week after dropping their leaves tho, I dont have enough soil mixed to repot them right now.
I guess ill just keep them lightly watered and hope the push some new buds out. they seemed to stay healthy for a little over a month then dropped all their leaves all of a sudden.

the bigger one already has new growth thats doing good so as long as it survives this repot, which im sure it will. I will continue with the same game plan.

which is take 5 years and get it trained

Reaction score
Sooooo, I think that I must have let the 3 that lost all leaves get dry for a period of time or something.

All of the collected wisteria have budded again, 2 of them are very vigorous and have filled the plant with leaves again, there is one that only has buds coming from one point about half way up the trunk. but they are all alive and I just fertilized them and will be making sure I dont let them dry out or anything crazy again.
gotta get them through the winter. along with the rest of my trees
so wish me luck!

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They can be hard to kill so I'm glad you waited and didn't toss them. Probably just shock from being dug but once they get over that .. ZING! You'll have fun with these.

Reaction score
Good, I hope so. They were full of flowers when I collected them in Feb or March? Prolly march. Here in Ga.

The biggest one stayed healthy since I dug them up and also pushing new leaves like the other 3. This must be wisterias "time to climb" cause all of them are growing the vine part of the plant and trying to climb. Only 1 is climbing, the other 3 don't have anything to cling to
the big one I hope to turn that one into a cascade someday. It seems like it's best option.

The one that's only growing 1 vine bud is climbing itself up its own dead branch so I keep untangling it and letting it get longer to wrap back up again. Its funny how quick that happens. Its no wonder they take over everything. I untangle it and the next morning its snugged itself back up again. Lol

The other 2 are still growing really good. The vines aren't really extending on the other ones... maybe because it knows there's nothing to cling to around it? I don't really understand... it's still pushing out leaves tho!

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine is back in Georgia too, flowering it's brains out. I'll be heading back to collect it shortly and bring it up to the new house in NC. I haven't had time to decide how I'm going to work on training it yet but there's time. I need to see how pliable I can make those vines while they are still thin enough to do anything with, twist them around each other, something. June I can play catch up as we'll be done moving by the end of May.

Top Bottom