collected wisteria

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
IMAG0232.jpgTake a look at the very old wisteria in my photo gallery. Can't get it uploaded as an attachment for some reason I collected it from my grandmothers garden. Big plans for this one. Slowly increase the nebari and overall health the next few years. Sorry but its bad quality photo.

Last edited:

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
[FOOTNOTE][/FOOTNOTE] what is the best approach for the next growing.g season for this? I know its a long way from a bonsai. So my question is should I try to wire to existing branches in to shape before the growing season or should inlet it grow then try to pull the stubborn straight up shoots down?

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Sorry about the grammar. Auto correct on my phone. Thanks.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best thing you can do for this wisteria is let it grow unhindered next year and probably the next. You may start seeing signs of dieback on the trunk this spring. I've repeatedly seen that on collected wisteria large and small in the two or three years after they've been containerized. (and for the record, this one's small to medium sized ;)--MUCH larger trunks can be collected and are needed, y to visually support the large flowers)...

Allowing the plant to grow without pruning --you can adjust the direction of some branches with wire, but tightly wiring and bending branches into the "finished" position shouldn't really be done at this point.

Allowing the plant to grow without much manipulatio will provide some insurance against trunk die back. I wouldn't start pruning it or wiring it, until it shows substantial healthy growth. Once that happens, the plan should be to hack it back twice a year to push flower buds--this is not all that straight forward and some research on gardening sites can shed some light on how to get wisteria to flower consistently is needed. But that's a few years off...

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks for the advise. Let it grow unhindered will be the plan.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks for the advise. Let it grow unhindered will be the plan. And the brutal truth. Got to keep us rookies heading in the right direction.

Top Bottom