Collected Yaupon

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice Scott. Do you have an update on the large one from the first post?
That one is no longer with me. As my trees have developed, they require more time and attention and I have had to reduce the number of trees in my collection. That was one I put up in the club auction.

- Scott

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Scott, just yesterday I was thinking that my yaupon needed some work and here is your post! I can see that you have thinned the tree, but exxactly how did you do that? Trim exterior twigs? Remove old foliage and inner twigs?

Thanks!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott, just yesterday I was thinking that my yaupon needed some work and here is your post! I can see that you have thinned the tree, but exxactly how did you do that? Trim exterior twigs? Remove old foliage and inner twigs?

Thanks!
Hi MP. This time of year, I’m sure to leave growing tips (maybe not all of them, but a healthy percentage). On shoots that extended in the fall, I remove interior leaves. At each node, I thin to two branches. I remove downward growth and try and leave > 50% of the foliage.

If you live in an area that has harsher winters, you might consider leaving this work until spring. It is extremely mild here (highs in the 70s today) and we rarely freeze. I‘m not sure we had a freeze at all last year. When it does freeze, its rarely more than an hour or two. So trees are never truly dormant and I don’t have to worry too much about dieback. For me, doing this work in the fall spaces things out so I don’t have to worry about it during repotting season.

- Scott

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
Do yours flower? I read that both male and female plants should produce flowers.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do yours flower? I read that both male and female plants should produce flowers.
Sorry I missed your question. Mine have never flowered in bonsai culture, unfortunately.

Top Bottom