Collected Yaupon

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
On the little boy, just thinning. Pull the old leaves and thin the branches. Mild cut back. Then let it grow and get strong - I'll wire in April or May. Still looking for the right pot for this one - it needs to be a bit smaller, I think.
IMG_8006.JPG
IMG_8007.JPG

Scott

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everything would seem superfluous after getting a glimpse of that trunk!! Excellent character!!:cool:

When I saw "during", the word and the photo itself, it reminded me of my bachelor days...o_O:p:D:D:D:rolleyes::eek:

I wonder, though, if you were to "show" the tree, would you consider a container with a more delicate character? Particularly the lip of the container?

Ha..during....o_O

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Everything would seem superfluous after getting a glimpse of that trunk!! Excellent character!!:cool:

When I saw "during", the word and the photo itself, it reminded me of my bachelor days...o_O:p:D:D:D:rolleyes::eek:

I wonder, though, if you were to "show" the tree, would you consider a container with a more delicate character? Particularly the lip of the container?

Ha..during....o_O

LOL! Which of the two yaupons are you thinking about?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe my wording was nebulous...o_O....the positioning of the tree, so close to one side, makes me feel some kind of "alternative" styled container would enhance the presentation. Something like a "broken" pot much like a re-working of a design concept displayed by Colin Lewis...

upload_2017-2-25_21-13-56.png

I guess, like always, my speech is off...11.2% beer is a heady brew.....a pot with this approach...

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
I really do wonder why they're not more commonly used. They are native, widespread, easy to collect, relatively pest and disease free, small leaves, twiggy habit, and respond well to bonsai culture.

Here's one of Jonas'

http://bonsaitonight.com/2015/08/18/yaupon-holly-cutback-2/

Great trees.

Scott
When's the best time of year to repot ?
How well do they respond to a drastic root pruning ?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the little boy, just thinning. Pull the old leaves and thin the branches. Mild cut back. Then let it grow and get strong - I'll wire in April or May. Still looking for the right pot for this one - it needs to be a bit smaller, I think.
View attachment 133598
View attachment 133597

Scott
I like yaupon...I have 3 of them...very...very prebonsai. Do you have any idea of the age of this tree? The trunk seems to be slow growing has that been your experience...or is it just my inexperience? I definitely see what you mean about them not taking to wiring after the limb has hardened. I have several limbs very straight on mine...would it be better to cut them off and start over?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like yaupon...I have 3 of them...very...very prebonsai. Do you have any idea of the age of this tree? The trunk seems to be slow growing has that been your experience...or is it just my inexperience? ....

Hi AZbonsai. I don't know the age of either - both were collected. 99% of them in my area are not great for bonsai. They tend to grow in clumps with taperless trunks. But every once in a while, you'll find a clump with a swollen base - those are good material and that's what I collect. Interestingly, I've never found any female trees like that, but I'm still looking.

I definitely see what you mean about them not taking to wiring after the limb has hardened. I have several limbs very straight on mine...would it be better to cut them off and start over?

Yes. Wire in spring after the growth has hardened, but don't bother wiring lignified wood. It'll just break. In winter I cut back to create branch structure - prune for movement, taper and branch position. In the spring I let it grow. Once the growth hardens off, I select shoots, wire into position and remove leaves to let light and air into the interior. Branches should be built from the inside out and grown into position - don't try and bend old branches into place. Better to cut them back to an interior shoot an regrow them.

Scott

Last edited:

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Really enjoyed skimming this thread! You are doing very nice things with these hollies and with that kind of patience they will eventually be classic bonsai. I've never seen one with berries but am sure it would look amazing!

I have a couple I am growing in Maryland that are not very developed yet. They do fine under led lights in the winter, but go dormant and stop growth, so development is slower here than in Texas I'm sure. In my experience they can survive light frosts.

They both were purchased on eBay from a vendor who sells them regularly there. I think it might be World Bonsai? The prices were very reasonable and service was good.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Really enjoyed skimming this thread! You are doing very nice things with these hollies and with that kind of patience they will eventually be classic bonsai. I've never seen one with berries but am sure it would look amazing!

I have a couple I am growing in Maryland that are not very developed yet. They do fine under led lights in the winter, but go dormant and stop growth, so development is slower here than in Texas I'm sure. In my experience they can survive light frosts.

They both were purchased on eBay from a vendor who sells them regularly there. I think it might be World Bonsai? The prices were very reasonable and service was good.

Thank you Veldog2. You might also keep your eyes open for your native hollies. Winterberrry holly grows in Maryland, for example. Have you tried one of those?

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I've had this thing forever and it's never been full of leaves. It just stays sparse. Never over 85F up here and down to high 30's in winter. Finally decided to give up and give it to a friend at lower elevation. If it doesn't improve this summer at least I'll have the stone and the Yamafusa pot brought to me from the kiln. To bad there's no market here for bonsai, I'm in clearance mode. P1020659.jpeg
I can barely manage to lift it.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Thank you Veldog2. You might also keep your eyes open for your native hollies. Winterberrry holly grows in Maryland, for example. Have you tried one of those?
I've never even seen a winterberry growing here. Not that I may not have walked right by one and not known what it was ... I will research. Thanks.

I like hollies in general for their steely gray gnarled bark and potential for old twisted branches. So it's cut and grow, cut and grow here.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had this thing forever and it's never been full of leaves. It just stays sparse. Never over 85F up here and down to high 30's in winter. Finally decided to give up and give it to a friend at lower elevation. If it doesn't improve this summer at least I'll have the stone and the Yamafusa pot brought to me from the kiln. To bad there's no market here for bonsai, I'm in clearance mode. View attachment 148655
I can barely manage to lift it.
Why no market for bonsai?

Top Bottom