Collected Yaupon

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
One other thing. Deadwood on Yaupon is a bit of a challenge. It gets punky and is constantly rotting. About 3 years ago, I tried this product.

36499011-180B-4240-97AD-C10D10413CD1.jpeg

Scott

Reactions: Vin

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I put on 3 coats. It dried shiny, and at first I was very disappointed. But over the course of the following year, the finished dulled to the soft appearance you see today. I’ve not had any issues with rot since that time and the wood is still solid to the touch. I’ve not had to re-apply yet. It’s a good product, I think.

Scott

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I put on 3 coats. It dried shiny, and at first I was very disappointed. But over the course of the following year, the finished dulled to the soft appearance you see today. I’ve not had any issues with rot since that time and the wood is still solid to the touch. I’ve not had to re-apply yet. It’s a good product, I think.

I am not familiar with that particular epoxy product, but many epoxy wood sealers are not UV resistant and will cloud/yellow if exposed to sunlight. What may not work for your wooden canoe may actually be a benefit when used on bonsai :)

I had the misfortune of buying a home with exposed wooden beams in a neighborhood of hungry termites. I am now an epoxy wood preserver expert :) I always keep a gallon of the stuff in my garage at all times. If you are looking for a reasonably priced epoxy source, I have used these guys for years. Two part product that comes with metered pumps on the containers. One squirt of part "A" and two squirts of part "B" into a plastic cup and you are in business!! You can apply it with a Q-Tip or disposable brush.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You have done great work with the yaupons!!!
I have found some 45 gallon nursery stock containers that already look pretty nice when do you recommend root work and bonsai soil ?

Hi B. I do root work on mine in spring. All my development work is done with my tree in bonsai soil - I grow mine in 100% inorganic substrate.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am not familiar with that particular epoxy product, but many epoxy wood sealers are not UV resistant and will cloud/yellow if exposed to sunlight. What may not work for your wooden canoe may actually be a benefit when used on bonsai....

Hi BN. I’ve not noticed any yellowing on the yaupon deadwood three years after application.

Scott

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh crap I’d be panicking! I didn’t know yaupon could handle freezing temps.
It can, but this far north, things can get iffy with Yaupon in containers...There's Houston "freezing" and there's 20 F for three days in the Mid Atlantic.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Oh crap I’d be panicking! I didn’t know yaupon could handle freezing temps.

32 degrees? No problemo. A few dips down into the upper 20’s for a couple days last year - also, no problemo. Continuous long freezes? Like, in the refrigerator? What’s that?

S

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
32 degrees? No problemo. A few dips down into the upper 20’s for a couple days last year - also, no problemo. Continuous long freezes? Like, in the refrigerator? What’s that?

S
Thanks. That will let me schlep a few less trees when the musical chairs of light frosts is in effect.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Beautiful!!! I miss seeing snow, I won't lie. Been years so sad!

@markyscott Going to drop into the 20's here the next few days. Do you think yaupon will hold up if I leave them outside? I just moved up to NC from FL I left all my trees in FL but I did pick up a yaupon here to see how it would do through the winter. I've never kept yaupon outside of FL. It would be great if I can keep them outside year round here.

I'll bring the others up here in spring, but when I moved in OCT I wasn't sure how they would take the winter here as we're borderline on the hardiness zone for them. So I left them with a friend...

Thanks for your input man!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Beautiful!!! I miss seeing snow, I won't lie. Been years so sad!

@markyscott Going to drop into the 20's here the next few days. Do you think yaupon will hold up if I leave them outside? I just moved up to NC from FL I left all my trees in FL but I did pick up a yaupon here to see how it would do through the winter. I've never kept yaupon outside of FL. It would be great if I can keep them outside year round here.

I'll bring the others up here in spring, but when I moved in OCT I wasn't sure how they would take the winter here as we're borderline on the hardiness zone for them. So I left them with a friend...

Thanks for your input man!

It’s native to SE NC where it grows near the coast. In the southeast it grows as an understory tree or in mixed growth stands in northern Florida, southern Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and Texas. That’s a pretty mild area - mostly zone 8-9. It can definitely take short dips into the upper twenties in a pot no problem, but I’d be cautious of prolonged cold or hard freezes into the low twenties or below. Perhaps Brian has some thoughts.

Scott

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you both. Sorry about that tree Brian damn. I'm zone 7 to 8a now. I was thinking 20s would be too cold

I'm glad to be able to experience the species in a different zone though. Exciting and a little stressful at the same time. Haha!

I really love the species and have found it to be one of the most fun to work on. Develop quickly too. Excellent at resisting pests also. At least in my short experience.

I have some on the property that I have an eye on for collecting this spring.

Top Bottom