Collected Yaupon

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking good. First glance at this recent pic made me do a double take thinking it was in an orange glazed pot. And i liked it!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looking good. First glance at this recent pic made me do a double take thinking it was in an orange glazed pot. And i liked it!

I kind of like it too, but it’s too big. I have a couple of alternatives we’ll look at soon - it needs to be repotted this season.

Scott

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I kind of like it too, but it’s too big. I have a couple of alternatives we’ll look at soon - it needs to be repotted this season.

Scott

Looking forward to updates. Thanks for sharing so many detailed updates with all of your trees.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice tree. It looks like you cut back really hard. I have one I need to do the same but unsure if I need to cut back in stages or just go for it in the proper season. Can you give me some guidance?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very nice tree. It looks like you cut back really hard. I have one I need to do the same but unsure if I need to cut back in stages or just go for it in the proper season. Can you give me some guidance?

Sure. Is it healthy? Is it growing strongly? Is it in good soil?

Scott

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot. Phoenix area.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hot. Phoenix area.

Hmm. It’s probably summer dormant season I’d guess. If you were up and Flagstaff, my advice might be a bit different. Let’s see, if it were mine, I probably wouldn’t cut back hard. I’d start by removing the old leaves on the extending shoots, thinning the new growth and wiring the shoots you’d like to keep. Although it’s probably slowed down quite a bit in your area, I think if you do this work now, you’ll probably see a bunch of new growth when the temperature starts to drop again in late September. Start by removing the shoots that you definitely don’t want to use as branches. Keep the ones you do want to use and don’t prune the growing tips. Just remove the old leaves to allow light and air to get into the interior of the tree. Go ahead and wire them, but be careful. At this point they’ve started to lignify - they’re quite brittle and may be easily broken if you let them go too long. When you get your fall growth spurt, let the new shoots extend and harden off. Given the health of the tree, I’m guessing you’ll see quite a bit of backbudding. That’ll give you something to cut back to when you do your dormant season cut back. At that point you could do some reduction.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you were in Flagstaff I’d feel mode comfortable cutting back into old wood. I’d not prune back to beyond growing shoots on old wood, but I’d definitely cut back to that point. Where you are, I’m guessing you’ll get a few weeks of growth in the fall before it shuts down for the year.

S

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks I really appreciate the advice. You are right it has just started to slow down for the yaupons due to heat. I think you are right about still getting a bit of growth if I trim and clear out a bit. We also do get a growing spurt right before our "winter". Thanks I will be doing what you recomend.You have great trees and a great teaching style. Much obliged!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yaupon wood gets punky after a while. This is how I try and preserve for as long as possible. This is the first step. The second I’ll post in a month or so.

Before.
2EA9228F-A896-41DA-9DBD-8672007C5C52.jpeg

First, dig out any punky bits manually with a good carving tool. Next, I get in there with a good spot sprayer and work the entire deadwood area until i get down to the solid wood underneath. Be careful with the tool. It’ll cut right through skin, no problem.
B82DF301-72ED-494C-B19D-B9BC265F2A93.jpeg
ED676C75-1A3D-443B-BE09-BE259AC00F3A.jpeg

Next I apply lime sulfur to the deadwood. I use full strength, but yaupon would look unnatural with bright white wood. So I mix it with India ink. It will dry a dull gray color.
2D6BD686-D686-4B6C-B66F-B0E35FCC12E1.jpeg9175BBB5-8F4B-494C-B34A-24F591AAAD89.jpegA6D05A5B-9D53-49D4-A9A1-DC8EF6C0763E.jpeg

Just a couple of drops will do. Paint the deadwood with the lime sulfur solution. Next step is to let it dry and cure the lime sulfur in the sun for a couple of weeks.
9559C7C0-85E7-4AA6-8672-7CE2C5916C3C.jpeg

S

Top Bottom