Collecting 2019

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
First collecting trip of 2019. It’s a little early but a beautiful day and no freezing temps in the 10 day forcast. I know we will still have some cold weather but I can bring them the in the garage.

Two American Hornbeams and two American Beech.
18CD2E7D-19C5-43AA-9666-D437E9D93073.jpeg
3982C151-BB93-4B9E-A5CB-887863D97234.jpeg
I’m loving the new Root Slayer!

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Love the hornbeams! Hopefully I can score a few this spring! Can’t believe you’re collecting already, we just made it through a polar vortex ?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice collection. That Hornbeam in the back right side looks mighty fine. That cordless Dewalt looks like a workhorse. Does it do the job painlessly?
I’m thinking about the Dewalt 20v compact reciprocating saw.....seeing as how I have a couple other 20v tools and batteries. But I haven’t bought the saw just yet.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice collection. That Hornbeam in the back right side looks mighty fine. That cordless Dewalt looks like a workhorse. Does it do the job painlessly?
I’m thinking about the Dewalt 20v compact reciprocating saw.....seeing as how I have a couple other 20v tools and batteries. But I haven’t bought the saw just yet.
I just got the reciprocating saw last spring when I had to replace some wood on my deck. The only reason I got the 18v was it matched my drill. Batteries don’t last as long as the drill but I’m loving it. You can’t even buy the 18v tools from Home Depot anymore everything has went to 20v. I was very surprised to see they had replacement 18v batteries yesterday which I figured out I needed after digging. Two batteries were dead after 4 trees. If I would have topped them off the night before I might have been ok. But I have 4 now and I’m going to get a charger to plug in to my truck.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man, I wish I could find some hornbeam around here. I've seen some on hikes but none on my property yet. I hope they do well for you.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great day of digging with my friend @Hack Yeah! yesterday.
7925F280-7BEF-4024-AECF-C67BD830A039.jpeg

Spent all day potting them today.
FD69BD03-3D5F-47D4-AB28-CE2FC7540F74.jpeg
Three hop-hornbeam. One American hornbeam. One Hawthorn sucker off @Hack Yeah! monster that he dug and going to try some hawthorn root cuttings. A big winged elm stump. And a little seedling bonus rider that I think is a hop-hornbeam. That’s it for my digging this spring except for this curvy hornbeam that I am going back for next weekend.
6C124BA1-FF32-45DD-B818-2F628C1E4CC7.jpeg

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow that’s a busy day, but this is the first year I have done real collecting in the forest. I have found that it is very addictive and rewarding at times. Nice finds, the best part is to see the buds push out.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I went back today with intentions of digging the tree above which is an American beech by the way, not a hornbeam. This tree was pushed over by a large fallen tree and took root from it’s branches pushed in the ground. I got to thinking about if the tree was strong enough at this point since it only has two roots at the point where I would be separating it from it’s original roots. So I went ahead and cut it loose, sealed the cut point, chopped and sealed. I put some creek sand around the base and I will check back on it this fall. Hopefully it will bud out, throw some more roots and be stronger.
225EB175-53D7-45DE-A438-A91A50AD1BD6.jpeg
E64F8089-D95E-464E-9DB4-61C251DE710E.jpeg
459748F3-96A8-4041-82AF-E041DA531673.jpeg

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the 2nd one, I use the oil pans too thanks to mellow mullet. $1 apiece I will take those all day. I need to get out and collect more but I need to restock on my soil. Unfortunately that takes most of my time and money.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I like the 2nd one, I use the oil pans too thanks to mellow mullet. $1 apiece I will take those all day. I need to get out and collect more but I need to restock on my soil. Unfortunately that takes most of my time and money.

I use them too. I spray mine with some flat brown paint and they could pass for clay pots from 20 feet.......or maybe 40 feet. LOL.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The white rectangle plastic tubs come from Walmart for .98.

Top Bottom